Feb 19, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
NHL practices resumed today and the Pittsburgh Penguins had a new-old face on the ice at their session.
Goalie Tomas Vokoun was medically cleared after being out since September with a blood clot issue and took part in team practice in Pittsburgh. As Sam Kasan of the Penguins’ site shares, Vokoun is happy to get back out there.
“My agenda is practice and see how I feel and how it goes. Take it one day at a time,” Vokoun said. “It’s pretty much left open. I’m trying to get back, see how I feel. Make sure (it) holds up.”
Vokoun, 37, said he’ll push himself as hard as he can to get back in the Penguins’ lineup. Jeff Zatkoff took over for him as the backup behind Marc-Andre Fleury when his blood clot issue was discovered.
Vokoun said he nearly died from the problem that arose in September. Since having the blood clot dissolved, he was put on blood thinners right away and has been off them since mid-January. It was then that he returned to the ice to skate, but now he’s back to facing shots.
Zatkoff has performed admirably in Vokoun’s absence, but if they can get the veteran goalie back before the end of the season, the Pens would enjoy giving Fleury a few extra nights off to prepare for the playoffs.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)