Sep 21, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Tomas Vokoun will be out of the lineup, although there is no timetable on how long.
On Saturday, while the Penguins were in action against the Columbus Blue Jackets, Vokoun underwent a procedure to dissolve a blood clot in his pelvis, as per Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Molinari reported that Vokoun experienced pain and swelling in his thigh following Saturday’s practice.
“The clot was dissolved by the procedure, and the doctors tell us that he (Vokoun) will remain in the hospital for several days,” Penguins general manager Ray Shero told reporters.
In the meantime, Jeff Zatkoff will get his chance to fill in for Vokoun in his absence, said Shero.
Vokoun, 37, is in his second season with the Penguins. During the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs, he took over from a struggling Marc-Andre Fleury in the opening round and was the Penguins goalie right through to the Eastern Conference final.
This is not the first time Vokoun has dealt with blood clots.
Earlier in his career, the Associated Press reported in a 2006 article that he underwent testing at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, was on blood thinners for three months and that the blood clots resulted from a childhood accident.
“(2006 was very disappointing that I didn’t get to play, but I was more worried if I was ever going to be playing again, and if I’m going to be healthy and living,” Vokoun told the National Post in May.
“At the moment, I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I had massive blood clots behind my abdominal wall, which you know, when they found them, they didn’t know if it was a tumor or whatever. I was more worried about that than if I would play again.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 36
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)