Sep 21, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Tomas Vokoun will be out of the lineup, although there is no timetable on how long.
On Saturday, while the Penguins were in action against the Columbus Blue Jackets, Vokoun underwent a procedure to dissolve a blood clot in his pelvis, as per Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Molinari reported that Vokoun experienced pain and swelling in his thigh following Saturday’s practice.
“The clot was dissolved by the procedure, and the doctors tell us that he (Vokoun) will remain in the hospital for several days,” Penguins general manager Ray Shero told reporters.
In the meantime, Jeff Zatkoff will get his chance to fill in for Vokoun in his absence, said Shero.
Vokoun, 37, is in his second season with the Penguins. During the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs, he took over from a struggling Marc-Andre Fleury in the opening round and was the Penguins goalie right through to the Eastern Conference final.
This is not the first time Vokoun has dealt with blood clots.
Earlier in his career, the Associated Press reported in a 2006 article that he underwent testing at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, was on blood thinners for three months and that the blood clots resulted from a childhood accident.
“(2006 was very disappointing that I didn’t get to play, but I was more worried if I was ever going to be playing again, and if I’m going to be healthy and living,” Vokoun told the National Post in May.
“At the moment, I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I had massive blood clots behind my abdominal wall, which you know, when they found them, they didn’t know if it was a tumor or whatever. I was more worried about that than if I would play again.”
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 9
- Mike Richards clears waivers 22
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)