Feb 18, 2014, 5:15 AM EST
Slovenia isn’t far removed from celebrating its first ever men’s hockey win at the Olympics. Now they can add “make the quarterfinals” to that list of achievements, as they dispatched Austria 4-0 on Tuesday.
Slovenia will face top seed Sweden on Wednesday. The game begins at 3 a.m. ET.
Anze Kopitar, Jan Mursak, Sabahudin Kovacevic and Jan Urbas scored Slovenia’s goals while Robert Kristan recorded a 30-save shutout.
It’s been an impressive Olympic debut for Slovenia, a team that lacks much mainstream recognition beyond Los Angeles Kings center Kopitar. They lost to Russia, but didn’t get blown out at 5-2. That first win was 3-1 against Slovakia while they weren’t embarrassed by the U.S. either; Phil Kessel was explosive but the score was respectable at 5-1.
Austria finishes 1-3 in the tournament, with a lone win coming against Norway. They have been shut out twice in Sochi.
At this point, Sweden ranks as heavy favorites, yet Slovenia has already achieved far more than anyone expected in its first-ever appearance in the men’s Olympic ice hockey tournament.
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 8
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)