Feb 13, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Finding a way to get all three goalies the opportunity to play (or at least suit up) is one of Babcock’s trickier jobs. Smith is clearly the No. 3 behind Carey Price and Luongo, but being a backup means always having to be ready just in case.
Against a team like Austria, Smith is most likely there in case Luongo gets hurt. If Smith has to come into the game based on Luongo’s performance, Babcock might have bigger problems to wrangle.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5