Feb 13, 2014, 4:17 PM EST
Finding a way to get all three goalies the opportunity to play (or at least suit up) is one of Babcock’s trickier jobs. Smith is clearly the No. 3 behind Carey Price and Luongo, but being a backup means always having to be ready just in case.
Against a team like Austria, Smith is most likely there in case Luongo gets hurt. If Smith has to come into the game based on Luongo’s performance, Babcock might have bigger problems to wrangle.
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 0
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5