Feb 12, 2014, 5:54 AM EDT
Roberto Luongo and Ryan Miller started in their respective country’s nets in the 2010 gold medal game, but they won’t represent their countries in their respective opening contests. Carey Price gets Canada’s first start while Luongo goes second, according to various sources including the CBC’s Tim Wharnsby.
In the grand scheme of things, this means Price will face Norway while Luongo squares off against Austria.
Much like with Quick starting the tournament off for the U.S., many will conclude that this means that Canadian head coach Mike Babcock is leaning toward Price as the No. 1.
The truest test might be when Canada faces a more formidable opponent, as neither Norway nor Austria are concerned realistic medal contenders.
Price, 26, is having a better statistical season and comes into Sochi with a three-game winning streak. Conversely, Luongo, 34, lost his last five games and six of seven overall. Of course, he’s also the guy with a gold medal start on his resume, so this is far from a slam dunk.
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 37
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 14
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)