Feb 12, 2014, 5:54 AM EDT
Roberto Luongo and Ryan Miller started in their respective country’s nets in the 2010 gold medal game, but they won’t represent their countries in their respective opening contests. Carey Price gets Canada’s first start while Luongo goes second, according to various sources including the CBC’s Tim Wharnsby.
In the grand scheme of things, this means Price will face Norway while Luongo squares off against Austria.
Much like with Quick starting the tournament off for the U.S., many will conclude that this means that Canadian head coach Mike Babcock is leaning toward Price as the No. 1.
The truest test might be when Canada faces a more formidable opponent, as neither Norway nor Austria are concerned realistic medal contenders.
Price, 26, is having a better statistical season and comes into Sochi with a three-game winning streak. Conversely, Luongo, 34, lost his last five games and six of seven overall. Of course, he’s also the guy with a gold medal start on his resume, so this is far from a slam dunk.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)