Feb 11, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne is participating in his sixth Olympic Games for Finland and while they haven’t won gold in that time, it’s not altering the experience of being in Sochi for the Anaheim Ducks’ future Hall of Famer.
“Obviously it means a lot, and every Olympics is a new story and a new adventure,” Selanne said. “Again, I’m very happy and thankful to be here. I’m very excited. Doesn’t matter if it’s the first or sixth time, it’s going to be very special, and I expect that it’s going to be another great experience.”
Selanne has 37 points in 31 career games at the Olympics. Finland had their best shot at gold in 2006 in Torino when they lost in the gold medal game to rival Sweden. That year, he had six goals and 11 points in eight games.
As for the Finns expectations going into this year’s tournament, he is expecting the unexpected.
“Obviously everybody has their own dreams, but our dreams are to be in the final, also,” Selanne said. “You never know. It’s a big ice surface, and 10 days, and whoever is going to be hot in the right time is going to have success. I’m expecting that there are going to be some surprises in this tournament, too. Hopefully I’m right.”
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 32
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)