Feb 9, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
There’s a roster freeze in effect, so obviously no trades will be announced in the near future. That being said, once the Olympics are over, it won’t be long until the trade deadline and we might be in for some blockbusters.
One of the players whose name keeps coming up St. Louis’ Chris Stewart.
He’s a physical forward and a threat to score that would fit nicely on a lot of team’s second or third line. The Blues have been giving him just 13:39 minutes per contest this season though and have been offering him to teams around the league, according to the Ottawa Sun’s sources.
Some squads might balk at his $4.15 million annual cap hit through the 2014-15 campaign, but the Ottawa Senators are believed to be interested in his services. They have more than enough room, even if they don’t necessarily intend to spend to the ceiling. At 26, Stewart is also young enough to factor into Ottawa’s long-term plans as well as provide them with a boost during their current battle for a postseason spot.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)