Feb 9, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
There’s a roster freeze in effect, so obviously no trades will be announced in the near future. That being said, once the Olympics are over, it won’t be long until the trade deadline and we might be in for some blockbusters.
One of the players whose name keeps coming up St. Louis’ Chris Stewart.
He’s a physical forward and a threat to score that would fit nicely on a lot of team’s second or third line. The Blues have been giving him just 13:39 minutes per contest this season though and have been offering him to teams around the league, according to the Ottawa Sun’s sources.
Some squads might balk at his $4.15 million annual cap hit through the 2014-15 campaign, but the Ottawa Senators are believed to be interested in his services. They have more than enough room, even if they don’t necessarily intend to spend to the ceiling. At 26, Stewart is also young enough to factor into Ottawa’s long-term plans as well as provide them with a boost during their current battle for a postseason spot.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)