Feb 8, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild have forged into the top Wild Card position in the Western Conference standings as the Olympic break comes to the NHL.
Yet there is a sense that general manager Chuck Fletcher will try to upgrade their roster once the freeze ends on Feb. 24 and the NHL trade deadline of March 5 approaches. In conversation with the Minneapolis Star Tribune, he labelled three major areas – scoring, defense and goaltending – that could perhaps see an improvement in the weeks ahead.
It’s been an interesting season in the Minnesota crease. The Wild have used three goalies – Josh Harding, Darcy Kuemper and Niklas Backstrom – this season. Harding was having a sensational season, with a 18-7-3 record, 1.65 goals-against average and .933 save percentage, but hasn’t played since Dec. 31 because of illness.
There seems to be no indication of when Harding, who undergoes treatment for multiple sclerosis, will return, saying last month: “But there are some things that are out of my control, and I thought that we did everything in our control to get back to where we are right now.”
Kuemper has been good, with an 8-3-2 record, including three wins in his last five starts.
“We’re a team still in the bottom six offensively, yet over the last month and a half, we’re averaging three goals a game. So you want to be a little careful there and decide if you need to really go out and get scoring,” Fletcher told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
“I like the way we defend and we have decent depth, but you could always use another defenseman. We have to figure out our goaltending situation, but we like our depth there, too. So throughout our lineup, we’ve had better depth, which is why we’ve been able to overcome all our injuries.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)