Jan 14, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
Wild goalie Josh Harding met with reporters on Tuesday and gave an update on his health and change in treatment protocol for multiple sclerosis.
“I wasn’t feeling good,” he said, per the Wild website. “If I felt even a little bit like I could play I would’ve.
“But there are some things that are out of my control, and I thought that we did everything in our control to get back to where we are right now.”
Harding, currently on injured reserve, hasn’t played since Dec. 31 and will miss his seventh consecutive game tonight when the Wild take on the Senators. He declined to get into specifics about his condition and, last week, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher said the club wasn’t hiding anything when its Harding update consisted of “he’s just not feeling well.”
“I wish I could tell you more,” Fletcher said, per the Star-Tribune. “We’re not hiding anything here — he just doesn’t feel well and whatever that’s from I can’t say. I can’t speculate, I don’t want to speculate.”
Harding, already placed on IR once this season for a change in MS treatment protocol, was playing at a Vezina-caliber level for the first half of the season, posting outrageous numbers ( 18-7-2, 1.66 GAA, .933 save percentage) and emerging as a big reason why Minnesota had a 20-11-5 mark after beating Vancouver on Dec. 17.
Third-stringer Darcy Kuemper, fresh off a shutout win over Nashville, will get his second straight start tonight against the Sens. Harding did participate fully in today’s practice, but neither he nor the club provided a timetable for return.
“I’ve been working out hard with our strength coach,” Harding explained. “It’s a matter of getting the reps in and getting back to find a rhythm.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)