Feb 6, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
Thursday was a rough one for the Predators.
Not long after GM David Poile was hospitalized due to taking a puck to the face in Minnesota, the club announced that longtime play-by-play man Pete Weber had suffered a heart attack. The Tennessean reports Weber was taken to hospital from Xcel Energy Center this morning.
Later, the Preds released the following statement:
Predators’ television broadcaster Pete Weber underwent a successful heart procedure this morning in a St. Paul, Minn. hospital. He is resting comfortably and will remain in the hospital recovering for the next couple days before returning to Nashville. He will miss tonight’s (at Minnesota) and Saturday’s (vs. Anaheim) Predators’ games.
Willy Daunic will work with Terry Crisp on the Fox Sports Tennessee telecasts tonight and Saturday while Milwaukee Admirals’ play-by-play broadcaster Aaron Sims will join Stu Grimson on the radio call tonight on 102.5 The Game.
The Predators and Predators’ fans wish Pete a speedy recovery and look forward to his return to play-by-play duties when fully recovered.
Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune tweeted a picture of Weber resting in hospital, and Weber later took to Twitter himself:
Thanks to all for your wishes! Resting comfortably in St Paul, close to Tom Reid’s bar!
— Pete Weber (@PeteWeberSports) February 6, 2014
Weber has been the voice of the Predators since the club’s inaugural season in 1998-99, and was named the Tennessee Sportscaster of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association in 2012.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)