Feb 6, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
Thursday was a rough one for the Predators.
Not long after GM David Poile was hospitalized due to taking a puck to the face in Minnesota, the club announced that longtime play-by-play man Pete Weber had suffered a heart attack. The Tennessean reports Weber was taken to hospital from Xcel Energy Center this morning.
Later, the Preds released the following statement:
Predators’ television broadcaster Pete Weber underwent a successful heart procedure this morning in a St. Paul, Minn. hospital. He is resting comfortably and will remain in the hospital recovering for the next couple days before returning to Nashville. He will miss tonight’s (at Minnesota) and Saturday’s (vs. Anaheim) Predators’ games.
Willy Daunic will work with Terry Crisp on the Fox Sports Tennessee telecasts tonight and Saturday while Milwaukee Admirals’ play-by-play broadcaster Aaron Sims will join Stu Grimson on the radio call tonight on 102.5 The Game.
The Predators and Predators’ fans wish Pete a speedy recovery and look forward to his return to play-by-play duties when fully recovered.
Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune tweeted a picture of Weber resting in hospital, and Weber later took to Twitter himself:
Thanks to all for your wishes! Resting comfortably in St Paul, close to Tom Reid’s bar!
— Pete Weber (@PeteWeberSports) February 6, 2014
Weber has been the voice of the Predators since the club’s inaugural season in 1998-99, and was named the Tennessee Sportscaster of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association in 2012.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 1
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)