Feb 5, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight the Pittsburgh Penguins will head to First Niagara Center to take on the Buffalo Sabres at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
That has also been the theme of this season in Buffalo. Miller has been strong for the most part, but the team in front of him hasn’t been able to take advantage of that. Perhaps he can take some comfort in the fact that he’ll be playing for a far better squad next week.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $1,200 Fantasy Hockey league for Wednesday’s NHL games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $275. Starts Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Miller was one of the main reasons the United States made it all the way to the gold medal game in the 2010 Winter Olympics. Naturally, he made the team again and there’s a good chance he’ll be handed the starting job again over Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Quick. Before he goes to Sochi though, he’ll be fiercely tested tonight.
The Penguins feature Team Canada’s best player in Sidney Crosby and one of Russia’s top forwards in Evgeni Malkin. So this should naturally make for a pretty intense warmup for the American netminder.
Miller has dealt with the Penguins once this season and turned aside 31 of 33 shots in what was ultimately one of his 21 regulation losses. Which brings us to elephant in the room: Even when his stint with the United States is done, his return to the Buffalo Sabres will probably be short-lived.
Assuming he’s not dealt before the break, the conventional wisdom is that he will be before the trade deadline. Which makes this potentially one of his final starts for the team that drafted him in 1999.
There was a time the Buffalo Sabres were great and though he might not a part of it, it’s only a matter of time before they rise again. For now though, maybe Miller can stand up and make a statement going into the Olympics. And maybe his teammates will play a tough contest against the superior Penguins.
If that happens, perhaps Miller can add to his franchise lead with a 284th victory. The damage to Buffalo’s season is already irreversible, but they can at least make it so that if Miller is gone soon, he would have left on a high note.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)