Sabres’ Ott: ‘We embarrassed Ryan Miller’

Feb 1, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

Buffalo Sabres v New York Islanders Getty Images

It was a step back for the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday, and a tough lesson learned that came at the expense of goalie Ryan Miller.

The Sabres were throttled 7-1 by the Colorado Avalanche, and Miller was pulled after two periods of work, allowing five goals on 27 shots.

“I didn’t like our mindset … They embarrassed us and we embarrassed Ryan Miller,” said Sabres’ forward Steve Ott, as per the club’s official Twitter account.

“It just seemed when goals were going in for them it never really stopped. … We took a step back,” Marcus Foligno told John Vogl of the Buffalo News.

It was like a constant bombardment from the Avalanche, with their 2013 first-overall pick, Nathan Mackinnon, leading the way with his first career three-point game in the National Hockey League.

It was right around this time last week when the Sabres were feeling pretty good about themselves, having just stopped the Columbus Blue Jackets, the hottest team in the NHL at the time, in their quest for a ninth consecutive win.

1. opattytheirishrover - Feb 1, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Some ups and downs. Miller knows what he’s working with to be sure. How touching of Ott to come to his goalies side….but I think Miller would appreciate it more with some action on the other end of the ice.

Have always liked Buffalo…would just start to like them liking themselves now!!

2. stepanup - Feb 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM

#FreeRyanMiller

3. charlieconway96 - Feb 1, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Wait, wait, wait… Steve Ott has a sense of embarrassment? Its gonna take a while for me to wrap my head around that one.

4. rabidbillsfan - Feb 1, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Honestly, this was expected to happen at one point here. Miller has been red hot, the young Sabres team has been playing above their expected level for some time now, a single let down like this cannot be crippling to this teams development. I’d swallow this pill and make sure it doesn’t happen again, which I’m sure Nolan is telling this team right now. The Sabres have been bad this season for sure, but they have been competitive since Nolan took over, one has to wonder what this team could have done the past 2 years with the coaching Nolan is providing. If they go Firesale at the deadline, next yer will be worse, but they will also have a defined core of talented players to help them turn it around, I see them like the Avalanche in a few years.

5. overunder27 - Feb 1, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Imagine, had the Sabres not blown their draft picks last year by making a failed late-season push for the playoffs, they might have drafted Mackinnon. Apply that to the 2 years before, and they might have drafted either Yakupov or Nugent-Hopkins… either of which would be good for first on the Sabres roster… BY A MILE.

6. djshnooks - Feb 1, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Nobody in Buffalo would want Yakupov.

We have Girgensons, from the same draft…who is proving to be a stud.

• overunder27 - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:54 PM

“Nobody in Buffalo would want Yakupov. We have Girgensons”

Yakupov has 5 more goals and 4 more points than Girgensons. Glad to have Girgensons on this team more than anybody else we currently have, but I would put a solid $500 bet down that Yakupov will be more prolific in the goals and points column when all is said and done. You also curiously avoided mentioning Nugent-Hopkins, who like I said would be good for first on our team by a mile.

• byah687 - Feb 4, 2014 at 4:59 PM

You’re not kidding. I’ve noticed it ever since the 2005-2007 run, when all the teenie bopper delusional optimist fans came out of the woodwork because the Sabres were suddenly good. According to them, every move the Sabres made was the right one and if you didn’t think so you were not a “true fan”.

And they never went back into the woodwork when the Sabres got bad again, so now you have a hilarious situation where the team is in last place and yet these idiot fans are living it up. They don’t want better players, they believe this team with 1 or 2 prospects can become a Stanley Cup champion. Guys like Nugent-Hopkins, Hertl, Mackinnon and Yakupov (to a lesser extent) will go on to be star or superstar players, while the Sabres will be sputtering around 11th place expecting guys like Girgensons, Grigorenko and Armia to be more than what they can ever possibly be.

I hate about half of our fanbase more than I hate the Flyers and Leafs fans combined. That says a lot.

7. rabidbillsfan - Feb 1, 2014 at 7:34 PM

@ overunder27

Right, because Yakopov and Nug are really tearing it up and propelling the Oilers to the playoffs. Oh, and I think this thing called “a goalie who turned the corner” is the reason for the Avs most recent run of success, not drafting MacKinnon. I’ll stick with Girgensons, and hope Grigerenko can develop and wait for the 2 stud D-men we drafted to hit the NHL roster.

• overunder27 - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Good job not replying directly to my comment, coward. “Yakopov and Nug are really tearing it up and propelling the Oilers to the playoffs.” – Straw man argument. Nugent-Hopkins is good for first on our roster, ahead of Hodgson BY 13 POINTS. It would take an injury to Nugent-Hopkins and Hodgson registering a point in each of the next 13 games to just CATCH UP. And you wouldn’t want this guy on the team… ah, you’re part of the delusional koolaid drinking minority that perverts our fan base. I understand. Yay, the Sabres just barely missed the playoffs, but the good news is that they tried hard, yaaaayyy! Who needs high draft picks and getting a young hotshot who would be ahead of the rest of the players on the team by a mile, we’ll just do the Toronto Maple Leafs recipe for long term futility: finishing in the middle of the pack, too low for the playoffs, too high for any draft picks that will ever amount to anything (I see your Girgensons, and raise you my Grigorenko). “hope Grigerenko can develop” Don’t hold your breath. “wait for the 2 stud D-men we drafted to hit the NHL roster.” Wait another 3 years of humiliation, for 2 D-men who will probably be middle of the road players we’ll trade away after half a season? You really are drinking that koolaid, and it’s obvious the mindless horde here approves.

• rabidbillsfan - Feb 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Wow, feel better? I see you are the only one to like your comments, or should I say, only one to agree. I am astonished that you were not up for the new GM gig, I mean, you clearly are a genius. You realize that the Sabres roster during those seasons had a heck of a lot more established talent than what was on the Oilers, Av’s, and any other team you feel like throwing on there. If you believe the goal is to either make the playoffs, or tank, then you have a skewed view of sports my friend. If anyone is drinking Kool-aid, it is you. And hey, little advice, google is out there for a reason, use it. Hodgson has played in 11 less games than Hopkins. Chomp on that one for a bit. And his “13” extra points has the Oilers a whopping 4 points ahead of the Sabres in the standings. I think it’s time your mother cancelled her internet subscription.

• overunder27 - Feb 4, 2014 at 12:34 AM

GM gig, as in compared to YOU? Mr “I wouldn’t want Nugent-Hopkins playing for the Sabres, even though he’s 13 points ahead of our best player”? Right, you’re the freakin’ GENIUS, ” rabid bills fan”. Maybe your problem is that you haven’t gone in for that rabies shot…

“If you believe the goal is to either make the playoffs, or tank, then you have a skewed view of sports my friend”

Ahem, Pittsburgh, Chicago. Can you tell me the Cup totals for the Penguins, Blackhawks and Sabres? I’ll wait…

“Hodgson has played in 11 less games than Hopkins. Chomp on that one for a bit.”

And Hodgson would, what, theoretically have scored a point in each of those games? Take a look at the TOP 50 best forwards in the league, Mr Sabres GM. Cycle between goals, points and assists. Now, tell me how many players do the Sabres have on that list? ZERO. Cody Hodgson, Matt “I probably won’t be here next season” Moulson, and Tyler “Afinogenov 2.0″ Ennis aren’t going to lead this team to the Stanley Cup.

“And his “13″ extra points has the Oilers a whopping 4 points ahead of the Sabres in the standings.”

Straw man argument. What did you say about “Google”? Yeah, you might want to go look that up. So by your logic, let’s trade Miller because we’re in last place. See the error? Are we learning yet?

“I think it’s time your mother cancelled her internet subscription.”

I think it’s time we meet to discuss this in person.

• overunder27 - Feb 4, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Let’s give this one an additional look. Playing your what-if game, let’s say we did something crazy and erased 11 of Hopkins points to make up for Cody’s lost time. Hopkins is still number one on our roster by 2 points. So what you’re saying is, you wouldn’t take a second Cody Hodgson on this team? For a minimal contract? You’re a lunatic. Chomp on that, swallow it and deal with it.

• byah687 - Feb 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Don’t even bother with this guy, he probably BILLieves both hometown teams will win a championship soon.

• overunder27 - Feb 5, 2014 at 10:59 PM

And the Sabres just got blown out 5-1 at home, including “highlight-reel goals” by Crosby (first overall draft pick) and Malkin (2nd overall draft pick). Sometimes I hate it when I’m right…

8. crazemastercraze - Feb 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Can’t see why the Sabers are standing pat on trades at this point

9. flyerguy73 - Feb 1, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Miller = WAY overrated goalie. When are you buffalo fans going to open your eyes? He had his good seasons, and they are long gone. Although it was a close one tonight. Lol.

• bruins196819 - Feb 1, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Put Miller on one of the better teams in NHL and he’s a top 5 goalie

• mitchteegmikek2118 - Feb 2, 2014 at 5:54 PM

He’s rated 10th in the league you moron. And that is on a team that is just a mess. LOL Net minding obviously isn’t our problem.

10. flyerguy73 - Feb 1, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Not even then.

• barkar942 - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Trade him to the Flyers and he will be as good as you say he is.

11. flyerguy73 - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM

We defenitely don’t want him! Thanks anyways.

• cofran2004 - Feb 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM

ooooh, bad call. I’d take miller on 90% of the teams in the league. He’s taking a sabres team thats an absolute dumpster fire, and keeping them in games almost single handedly.

And at the very least, he’s better than mason.

12. bagjr387 - Feb 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM

flyerguy73

Miller has a .925 sv%(10th in NHL) on the worst team in the NHL….enough said

13. flyerguy73 - Feb 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM

And like I said, we don’t want him! His “superstar” years are gone. I would just be embarrassed to be a sabre. Too funny.

14. flyerguy73 - Feb 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM

What’s Millers record again? I’ll take Mason anyday. Our defense is horrible, but you still have to stop the puck. Let’s go Team Canada!

15. byah687 - Feb 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM

They’ve been playing better under Nolan, but I fear that it won’t be enough for the new GM to keep him around.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches