Feb 3, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have put forward Matt Moulson on injured reserve with an arm ailment, the club announced on Monday.
The move is mostly a formality. He looked to be in serious pain last Thursday after taking a hit/slash from Phoenix’s Shane Doan, missed Saturday’s 7-1 loss to the Avs and wasn’t expected to play again until after the Olympic break. With the IR designation, Moulson will now officially miss tonight’s game against Edmonton, Wednesday’s against Pittsburgh and Thursday’s against Ottawa.
The former Islander, who came to Buffalo as part of the Thomas Vanek trade, has nine goals and 24 points in 40 games for the Sabres this season. He’s in the last of a three-year, $9.4 million deal and rumored to be on the want list of a number of teams at the deadline, so it’ll be very interesting to see 1) how severe this injury is, and 2) if it prevents teams from getting in a bidding war to use him as a rental.
Moulson hasn’t said what his plans are for the future, but didn’t rule out re-signing in Buffalo.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)