Feb 3, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have put forward Matt Moulson on injured reserve with an arm ailment, the club announced on Monday.
The move is mostly a formality. He looked to be in serious pain last Thursday after taking a hit/slash from Phoenix’s Shane Doan, missed Saturday’s 7-1 loss to the Avs and wasn’t expected to play again until after the Olympic break. With the IR designation, Moulson will now officially miss tonight’s game against Edmonton, Wednesday’s against Pittsburgh and Thursday’s against Ottawa.
The former Islander, who came to Buffalo as part of the Thomas Vanek trade, has nine goals and 24 points in 40 games for the Sabres this season. He’s in the last of a three-year, $9.4 million deal and rumored to be on the want list of a number of teams at the deadline, so it’ll be very interesting to see 1) how severe this injury is, and 2) if it prevents teams from getting in a bidding war to use him as a rental.
Moulson hasn’t said what his plans are for the future, but didn’t rule out re-signing in Buffalo.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)