Feb 3, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have put forward Matt Moulson on injured reserve with an arm ailment, the club announced on Monday.
The move is mostly a formality. He looked to be in serious pain last Thursday after taking a hit/slash from Phoenix’s Shane Doan, missed Saturday’s 7-1 loss to the Avs and wasn’t expected to play again until after the Olympic break. With the IR designation, Moulson will now officially miss tonight’s game against Edmonton, Wednesday’s against Pittsburgh and Thursday’s against Ottawa.
The former Islander, who came to Buffalo as part of the Thomas Vanek trade, has nine goals and 24 points in 40 games for the Sabres this season. He’s in the last of a three-year, $9.4 million deal and rumored to be on the want list of a number of teams at the deadline, so it’ll be very interesting to see 1) how severe this injury is, and 2) if it prevents teams from getting in a bidding war to use him as a rental.
Moulson hasn’t said what his plans are for the future, but didn’t rule out re-signing in Buffalo.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)