Feb 3, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have put forward Matt Moulson on injured reserve with an arm ailment, the club announced on Monday.
The move is mostly a formality. He looked to be in serious pain last Thursday after taking a hit/slash from Phoenix’s Shane Doan, missed Saturday’s 7-1 loss to the Avs and wasn’t expected to play again until after the Olympic break. With the IR designation, Moulson will now officially miss tonight’s game against Edmonton, Wednesday’s against Pittsburgh and Thursday’s against Ottawa.
The former Islander, who came to Buffalo as part of the Thomas Vanek trade, has nine goals and 24 points in 40 games for the Sabres this season. He’s in the last of a three-year, $9.4 million deal and rumored to be on the want list of a number of teams at the deadline, so it’ll be very interesting to see 1) how severe this injury is, and 2) if it prevents teams from getting in a bidding war to use him as a rental.
Moulson hasn’t said what his plans are for the future, but didn’t rule out re-signing in Buffalo.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)