Feb 3, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have put forward Matt Moulson on injured reserve with an arm ailment, the club announced on Monday.
The move is mostly a formality. He looked to be in serious pain last Thursday after taking a hit/slash from Phoenix’s Shane Doan, missed Saturday’s 7-1 loss to the Avs and wasn’t expected to play again until after the Olympic break. With the IR designation, Moulson will now officially miss tonight’s game against Edmonton, Wednesday’s against Pittsburgh and Thursday’s against Ottawa.
The former Islander, who came to Buffalo as part of the Thomas Vanek trade, has nine goals and 24 points in 40 games for the Sabres this season. He’s in the last of a three-year, $9.4 million deal and rumored to be on the want list of a number of teams at the deadline, so it’ll be very interesting to see 1) how severe this injury is, and 2) if it prevents teams from getting in a bidding war to use him as a rental.
Moulson hasn’t said what his plans are for the future, but didn’t rule out re-signing in Buffalo.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 14
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)