Jan 15, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
One of the big names expected to be discussed as the trade deadline draws near is Buffalo forward Matt Moulson. According to the Ottawa Sun, the price to land the three-time 30-goal scorer is quite high:
“Lots,” another NHL exec figured when asked what it would cost a team to get Moulson, a 30-year old who has 14 goals and 17 assists in 42 games split between Long Island and Buffalo this season. “A minimum of a first (round pick) and a top young player.
“And I’m not even sure they even want a first in this draft.”
Buffalo has its own first-and second-round picks in this year’s draft, along with a pair of additional second-rounders (one from the Robyn Regehr-to-L.A. deal, the other from the Jason Pominville-to-Minnesota trade.)
Of course, most teams are eying next year’s draft — set to feature OHL Erie wunderkind Connor McDavid — as the one to be stockpiling picks for.
As for who’s interested in Moulson?
The Senators have been kicking the tires, according to the Sun (such a deal would “make sense,” according to the same NHL exec quoted above.)
Meanwhile, dialed-in Kings scribe John Hoven — from Mayors’ Manor — says L.A. is very interested in acquiring Moulson as well.
The Moulson-to-L.A. deal makes sense on a number of fronts. One, he debuted for the Kings in 2007-08 and appeared in 29 games before moving to Long Island. Two, Kings GM Dean Lombardi could look at the blueprint from the ’12 Cup run — when he acquired Jeff Carter to kickstart his club’s struggling offense — and try to replicate it with Moulson who, like Carter, is a goalscoring winger.
Finally, it’s worth noting that Moulson plays on the left side and, earlier this year, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter lamented the lack of production he was getting from his left wingers — so much so that he gave defenseman Alec Martinez a twirl.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)