Jan 15, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
One of the big names expected to be discussed as the trade deadline draws near is Buffalo forward Matt Moulson. According to the Ottawa Sun, the price to land the three-time 30-goal scorer is quite high:
“Lots,” another NHL exec figured when asked what it would cost a team to get Moulson, a 30-year old who has 14 goals and 17 assists in 42 games split between Long Island and Buffalo this season. “A minimum of a first (round pick) and a top young player.
“And I’m not even sure they even want a first in this draft.”
Buffalo has its own first-and second-round picks in this year’s draft, along with a pair of additional second-rounders (one from the Robyn Regehr-to-L.A. deal, the other from the Jason Pominville-to-Minnesota trade.)
Of course, most teams are eying next year’s draft — set to feature OHL Erie wunderkind Connor McDavid — as the one to be stockpiling picks for.
As for who’s interested in Moulson?
The Senators have been kicking the tires, according to the Sun (such a deal would “make sense,” according to the same NHL exec quoted above.)
Meanwhile, dialed-in Kings scribe John Hoven — from Mayors’ Manor — says L.A. is very interested in acquiring Moulson as well.
The Moulson-to-L.A. deal makes sense on a number of fronts. One, he debuted for the Kings in 2007-08 and appeared in 29 games before moving to Long Island. Two, Kings GM Dean Lombardi could look at the blueprint from the ’12 Cup run — when he acquired Jeff Carter to kickstart his club’s struggling offense — and try to replicate it with Moulson who, like Carter, is a goalscoring winger.
Finally, it’s worth noting that Moulson plays on the left side and, earlier this year, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter lamented the lack of production he was getting from his left wingers — so much so that he gave defenseman Alec Martinez a twirl.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)