Jan 15, 2014, 2:06 PM EST
One of the big names expected to be discussed as the trade deadline draws near is Buffalo forward Matt Moulson. According to the Ottawa Sun, the price to land the three-time 30-goal scorer is quite high:
“Lots,” another NHL exec figured when asked what it would cost a team to get Moulson, a 30-year old who has 14 goals and 17 assists in 42 games split between Long Island and Buffalo this season. “A minimum of a first (round pick) and a top young player.
“And I’m not even sure they even want a first in this draft.”
Buffalo has its own first-and second-round picks in this year’s draft, along with a pair of additional second-rounders (one from the Robyn Regehr-to-L.A. deal, the other from the Jason Pominville-to-Minnesota trade.)
Of course, most teams are eying next year’s draft — set to feature OHL Erie wunderkind Connor McDavid — as the one to be stockpiling picks for.
As for who’s interested in Moulson?
The Senators have been kicking the tires, according to the Sun (such a deal would “make sense,” according to the same NHL exec quoted above.)
Meanwhile, dialed-in Kings scribe John Hoven — from Mayors’ Manor — says L.A. is very interested in acquiring Moulson as well.
The Moulson-to-L.A. deal makes sense on a number of fronts. One, he debuted for the Kings in 2007-08 and appeared in 29 games before moving to Long Island. Two, Kings GM Dean Lombardi could look at the blueprint from the ’12 Cup run — when he acquired Jeff Carter to kickstart his club’s struggling offense — and try to replicate it with Moulson who, like Carter, is a goalscoring winger.
Finally, it’s worth noting that Moulson plays on the left side and, earlier this year, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter lamented the lack of production he was getting from his left wingers — so much so that he gave defenseman Alec Martinez a twirl.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)