Jan 15, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
One of the big names expected to be discussed as the trade deadline draws near is Buffalo forward Matt Moulson. According to the Ottawa Sun, the price to land the three-time 30-goal scorer is quite high:
“Lots,” another NHL exec figured when asked what it would cost a team to get Moulson, a 30-year old who has 14 goals and 17 assists in 42 games split between Long Island and Buffalo this season. “A minimum of a first (round pick) and a top young player.
“And I’m not even sure they even want a first in this draft.”
Buffalo has its own first-and second-round picks in this year’s draft, along with a pair of additional second-rounders (one from the Robyn Regehr-to-L.A. deal, the other from the Jason Pominville-to-Minnesota trade.)
Of course, most teams are eying next year’s draft — set to feature OHL Erie wunderkind Connor McDavid — as the one to be stockpiling picks for.
As for who’s interested in Moulson?
The Senators have been kicking the tires, according to the Sun (such a deal would “make sense,” according to the same NHL exec quoted above.)
Meanwhile, dialed-in Kings scribe John Hoven — from Mayors’ Manor — says L.A. is very interested in acquiring Moulson as well.
The Moulson-to-L.A. deal makes sense on a number of fronts. One, he debuted for the Kings in 2007-08 and appeared in 29 games before moving to Long Island. Two, Kings GM Dean Lombardi could look at the blueprint from the ’12 Cup run — when he acquired Jeff Carter to kickstart his club’s struggling offense — and try to replicate it with Moulson who, like Carter, is a goalscoring winger.
Finally, it’s worth noting that Moulson plays on the left side and, earlier this year, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter lamented the lack of production he was getting from his left wingers — so much so that he gave defenseman Alec Martinez a twirl.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)