Jan 15, 2014, 2:06 PM EST
One of the big names expected to be discussed as the trade deadline draws near is Buffalo forward Matt Moulson. According to the Ottawa Sun, the price to land the three-time 30-goal scorer is quite high:
“Lots,” another NHL exec figured when asked what it would cost a team to get Moulson, a 30-year old who has 14 goals and 17 assists in 42 games split between Long Island and Buffalo this season. “A minimum of a first (round pick) and a top young player.
“And I’m not even sure they even want a first in this draft.”
Buffalo has its own first-and second-round picks in this year’s draft, along with a pair of additional second-rounders (one from the Robyn Regehr-to-L.A. deal, the other from the Jason Pominville-to-Minnesota trade.)
Of course, most teams are eying next year’s draft — set to feature OHL Erie wunderkind Connor McDavid — as the one to be stockpiling picks for.
As for who’s interested in Moulson?
The Senators have been kicking the tires, according to the Sun (such a deal would “make sense,” according to the same NHL exec quoted above.)
Meanwhile, dialed-in Kings scribe John Hoven — from Mayors’ Manor — says L.A. is very interested in acquiring Moulson as well.
The Moulson-to-L.A. deal makes sense on a number of fronts. One, he debuted for the Kings in 2007-08 and appeared in 29 games before moving to Long Island. Two, Kings GM Dean Lombardi could look at the blueprint from the ’12 Cup run — when he acquired Jeff Carter to kickstart his club’s struggling offense — and try to replicate it with Moulson who, like Carter, is a goalscoring winger.
Finally, it’s worth noting that Moulson plays on the left side and, earlier this year, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter lamented the lack of production he was getting from his left wingers — so much so that he gave defenseman Alec Martinez a twirl.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2