Feb 1, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Nick Bonino‘s breakout season has been put on hold.
The 25-year-old forward has been placed on the injured reserve list by the Anaheim Ducks and will miss at least three consecutive contests, reports the Orange County Register’s Eric Stephens. He left Thursday’s game due to an upper-body injury.
After that match, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau was optimistic about Bonino’s chances of playing before the Olympic break and it’s still possible that he’ll return on Feb. 8. However, the silver lining is that break will provide Bonino with a few extra weeks to recover if he needs it.
One of the Ducks’ strengths this season has been their secondary scoring and Bonino has been a big part of that. He doesn’t play alongside Anaheim’s superstar duo of Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in even-strength situations, but Bonino has still broken out this season with 16 goals and 40 points in 56 games.
The Ducks will play the Dallas Stars tonight as they look to add to their nine-point edge in the Pacific Division race.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)