Feb 1, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Nick Bonino‘s breakout season has been put on hold.
The 25-year-old forward has been placed on the injured reserve list by the Anaheim Ducks and will miss at least three consecutive contests, reports the Orange County Register’s Eric Stephens. He left Thursday’s game due to an upper-body injury.
After that match, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau was optimistic about Bonino’s chances of playing before the Olympic break and it’s still possible that he’ll return on Feb. 8. However, the silver lining is that break will provide Bonino with a few extra weeks to recover if he needs it.
One of the Ducks’ strengths this season has been their secondary scoring and Bonino has been a big part of that. He doesn’t play alongside Anaheim’s superstar duo of Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in even-strength situations, but Bonino has still broken out this season with 16 goals and 40 points in 56 games.
The Ducks will play the Dallas Stars tonight as they look to add to their nine-point edge in the Pacific Division race.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)