Feb 1, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Nick Bonino‘s breakout season has been put on hold.
The 25-year-old forward has been placed on the injured reserve list by the Anaheim Ducks and will miss at least three consecutive contests, reports the Orange County Register’s Eric Stephens. He left Thursday’s game due to an upper-body injury.
After that match, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau was optimistic about Bonino’s chances of playing before the Olympic break and it’s still possible that he’ll return on Feb. 8. However, the silver lining is that break will provide Bonino with a few extra weeks to recover if he needs it.
One of the Ducks’ strengths this season has been their secondary scoring and Bonino has been a big part of that. He doesn’t play alongside Anaheim’s superstar duo of Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in even-strength situations, but Bonino has still broken out this season with 16 goals and 40 points in 56 games.
The Ducks will play the Dallas Stars tonight as they look to add to their nine-point edge in the Pacific Division race.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 55
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)