Feb 1, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Nick Bonino‘s breakout season has been put on hold.
The 25-year-old forward has been placed on the injured reserve list by the Anaheim Ducks and will miss at least three consecutive contests, reports the Orange County Register’s Eric Stephens. He left Thursday’s game due to an upper-body injury.
After that match, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau was optimistic about Bonino’s chances of playing before the Olympic break and it’s still possible that he’ll return on Feb. 8. However, the silver lining is that break will provide Bonino with a few extra weeks to recover if he needs it.
One of the Ducks’ strengths this season has been their secondary scoring and Bonino has been a big part of that. He doesn’t play alongside Anaheim’s superstar duo of Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in even-strength situations, but Bonino has still broken out this season with 16 goals and 40 points in 56 games.
The Ducks will play the Dallas Stars tonight as they look to add to their nine-point edge in the Pacific Division race.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)