Jan 31, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
Anaheim Ducks center Nick Bonino left Thursday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers for good in the second period and did not return, with what the club called an upper-body injury.
Bonino suffered the injury on a hit in the first period, according to Elliott Teaford of the L.A. News Group, then came back in the second. He took four shifts then left the game for good. The Ducks won by a final score of 5-3.
As per Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register, Bonino is listed as day-to-day, with head coach Bruce Boudreau telling reporters he thinks Bonino will play again before the Olympic break.
The Ducks have four games remaining on their schedule before the NHL shuts down for the Sochi Olympics.
Bonino, 25, is having the best season of his young NHL career.
In 56 games – on a very good Ducks team – Bonino has 16 goals and 40 points. Those totals absolutely shatter his previous career highs of five goals (it happened twice: in 2011-12, and 2013) and 18 points (2011-12).
- Mike Richards clears waivers 15
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 11
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)