Jan 30, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
On home ice against their fiercest and most historic rival, the Boston Bruins were flat and the Montreal Canadiens played almost a completely perfect road game.
The Canadiens skated to a 4-1 victory, chasing goalie Tuukka Rask from the Boston net in the second period, with Chad Johnson coming into the game as his replacement. Not a great night for either puck stopper. The Canadiens, having recently snapped an ugly four-game losing streak were full value for the win, getting goals from four different players.
The topic of Rask getting pulled apparently caused some tension between the media and Bruins’ head coach Claude Julien following the game.
“Maybe sometimes you pull the goalie for different reasons. I don’t think I have to explain everything to you guys,” said Julien, according to Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette.
The bench boss added: “I’m trying to get out of this so you guys understand we weren’t very good tonight. See you guys next game.”
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 28
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 91
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 47
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63