Jan 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur only played through two periods before being pulled during Sunday’s 2014 Stadium Series loss, but he still dominated the headlines today.
For one thing, he said that he encouraged New Jersey Devils head coach Peter DeBoer to pull him in favor of Cory Schneider, ostensibly so the young netminder could play at Yankee Stadium. The splashier quote comes when he seems to bash the playing conditions more than his play (allowing six goals on just 21 shots in a 7-3 loss to the New York Rangers).
“Worst ice I ever played hockey on,” Brodeur said, according to Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger. “Everything was great … Except for the hockey game.”
Well, at least he likes Jersey Boys.
The 41-year-old seemed to chalk it up to bad bounces, as the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti reports.
“In a game like that, sometimes you know as a goalie, like today, the puck didn’t hit me,” Brodeur said. “It was just one of those days …”
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)