Jan 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST
Martin Brodeur only played through two periods before being pulled during Sunday’s 2014 Stadium Series loss, but he still dominated the headlines today.
For one thing, he said that he encouraged New Jersey Devils head coach Peter DeBoer to pull him in favor of Cory Schneider, ostensibly so the young netminder could play at Yankee Stadium. The splashier quote comes when he seems to bash the playing conditions more than his play (allowing six goals on just 21 shots in a 7-3 loss to the New York Rangers).
“Worst ice I ever played hockey on,” Brodeur said, according to Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger. “Everything was great … Except for the hockey game.”
Well, at least he likes Jersey Boys.
The 41-year-old seemed to chalk it up to bad bounces, as the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti reports.
“In a game like that, sometimes you know as a goalie, like today, the puck didn’t hit me,” Brodeur said. “It was just one of those days …”
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)