Jan 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur only played through two periods before being pulled during Sunday’s 2014 Stadium Series loss, but he still dominated the headlines today.
For one thing, he said that he encouraged New Jersey Devils head coach Peter DeBoer to pull him in favor of Cory Schneider, ostensibly so the young netminder could play at Yankee Stadium. The splashier quote comes when he seems to bash the playing conditions more than his play (allowing six goals on just 21 shots in a 7-3 loss to the New York Rangers).
“Worst ice I ever played hockey on,” Brodeur said, according to Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger. “Everything was great … Except for the hockey game.”
Well, at least he likes Jersey Boys.
The 41-year-old seemed to chalk it up to bad bounces, as the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti reports.
“In a game like that, sometimes you know as a goalie, like today, the puck didn’t hit me,” Brodeur said. “It was just one of those days …”
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 0
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 17
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)