Jan 25, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
The New York Islanders have voiced their contention with a controversial call that overturned what looked to be the game-winning goal against the St. Louis Blues on Saturday.
Thomas Vanek appeared to score the winner in OT on a scramble in front of the net. The puck hit off his skate then slid under Jaroslav Halak and over the red line, with the referee behind the net signaling right away that it was a goal.
The call on the ice, however, was overturned after review. The decision: Vanek, according to the league, kicked the puck with his left skate. The Islanders then lost in the shootout, missing out on the full two points.
“I think it’s a terrible call,” said Vanek afterward, as per Long Island Newsday.
“I don’t know if it’s who we are … If that’s Pittsburgh or a top team, that’s maybe a goal. It’s just a terrible call. We all know what a kicking motion is.”
His head coach, Jack Capuano agreed with that assertion, though he didn’t speak at great length about the call.
“To me, the referees made the right call on the ice,” said Capuano.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 29
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)