Jan 25, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
The New York Islanders have voiced their contention with a controversial call that overturned what looked to be the game-winning goal against the St. Louis Blues on Saturday.
Thomas Vanek appeared to score the winner in OT on a scramble in front of the net. The puck hit off his skate then slid under Jaroslav Halak and over the red line, with the referee behind the net signaling right away that it was a goal.
The call on the ice, however, was overturned after review. The decision: Vanek, according to the league, kicked the puck with his left skate. The Islanders then lost in the shootout, missing out on the full two points.
“I think it’s a terrible call,” said Vanek afterward, as per Long Island Newsday.
“I don’t know if it’s who we are … If that’s Pittsburgh or a top team, that’s maybe a goal. It’s just a terrible call. We all know what a kicking motion is.”
His head coach, Jack Capuano agreed with that assertion, though he didn’t speak at great length about the call.
“To me, the referees made the right call on the ice,” said Capuano.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 3
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 28
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 30
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 55
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (55)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)