Jan 25, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
The New York Islanders have voiced their contention with a controversial call that overturned what looked to be the game-winning goal against the St. Louis Blues on Saturday.
Thomas Vanek appeared to score the winner in OT on a scramble in front of the net. The puck hit off his skate then slid under Jaroslav Halak and over the red line, with the referee behind the net signaling right away that it was a goal.
The call on the ice, however, was overturned after review. The decision: Vanek, according to the league, kicked the puck with his left skate. The Islanders then lost in the shootout, missing out on the full two points.
“I think it’s a terrible call,” said Vanek afterward, as per Long Island Newsday.
“I don’t know if it’s who we are … If that’s Pittsburgh or a top team, that’s maybe a goal. It’s just a terrible call. We all know what a kicking motion is.”
His head coach, Jack Capuano agreed with that assertion, though he didn’t speak at great length about the call.
“To me, the referees made the right call on the ice,” said Capuano.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 22
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)