Jan 25, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
The New York Islanders have voiced their contention with a controversial call that overturned what looked to be the game-winning goal against the St. Louis Blues on Saturday.
Thomas Vanek appeared to score the winner in OT on a scramble in front of the net. The puck hit off his skate then slid under Jaroslav Halak and over the red line, with the referee behind the net signaling right away that it was a goal.
The call on the ice, however, was overturned after review. The decision: Vanek, according to the league, kicked the puck with his left skate. The Islanders then lost in the shootout, missing out on the full two points.
“I think it’s a terrible call,” said Vanek afterward, as per Long Island Newsday.
“I don’t know if it’s who we are … If that’s Pittsburgh or a top team, that’s maybe a goal. It’s just a terrible call. We all know what a kicking motion is.”
His head coach, Jack Capuano agreed with that assertion, though he didn’t speak at great length about the call.
“To me, the referees made the right call on the ice,” said Capuano.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)