Jan 25, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Earlier today we talked about how the New York Islanders wanted to stop blowing 2-0 leads and close out games. Sure enough, they did neither of those things against the St. Louis Blues this afternoon, but it wasn’t without controversy.
Thomas Vanek scored what he and the Islanders thought was the game-winning goal to salvage the win with 1:15 to go in overtime, only to have it overturned on replay by officials from the NHL War Room in Toronto.
According to the NHL’s Situation Room blog, Vanek kicked the puck past Jaroslav Halak with his left skate. On replay, the only obvious part was that the puck went off Vanek’s skate. Deliberately kicked though? Take a look at the video:
The reaction to the overturned goal around Twitter was strong.
With neither team scoring in the final seconds after the overturned goal, it was off to the shootout where Kevin Shattenkirk completed the Isles collapse beating Kevin Poulin and giving the Blues a 4-3 win.
Of course, how the Islanders got there is part of this story. Again they jumped out to an early 2-0 lead only to have Blues forward Vladimir Tarasenko score twice to make it a 2-2 game. Matt Martin put the Isles ahead 3-2 in the third, but T.J. Oshie scored with 27 seconds left in the period to tie it 3-3.
We knew they were having issues finishing games, but that’s rough.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 8
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 39
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)