Jan 23, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Jonathan Toews wasn’t shy about the fact that he felt he was up to the task of captaining Team Canada in the 2014 Winter Olympics. Still, it came as no surprise when Sidney Crosby was picked for the job.
Toews was selected as an alternative, but before that happened, Crosby reached out to Toews to make sure he was okay with the decision.
“(Toews’) held in high regard, to say the least, and he’s a huge part of the reason why (the Blackhawks) win as much as they do,” Team Canada coach Mike Babcock said, according to CSN Chicago.
Toews felt Crosby’s gesture was nice, but unnecessary. The fact that he won’t wear the ‘C’ hasn’t dampened his enthusiasm to be able to play for Team Canada in the first place.
The Blackhawks captain has won the Stanley Cup twice, which is part of the reason why Babcock feels Toews has earned the right to serve as the nation’s captain. Even still, Crosby is the team’s best player and was the hero in Canada’s gold medal match against the United States in 2010.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)