Jan 23, 2014, 9:50 AM EST
Jonathan Toews wasn’t shy about the fact that he felt he was up to the task of captaining Team Canada in the 2014 Winter Olympics. Still, it came as no surprise when Sidney Crosby was picked for the job.
Toews was selected as an alternative, but before that happened, Crosby reached out to Toews to make sure he was okay with the decision.
“(Toews’) held in high regard, to say the least, and he’s a huge part of the reason why (the Blackhawks) win as much as they do,” Team Canada coach Mike Babcock said, according to CSN Chicago.
Toews felt Crosby’s gesture was nice, but unnecessary. The fact that he won’t wear the ‘C’ hasn’t dampened his enthusiasm to be able to play for Team Canada in the first place.
The Blackhawks captain has won the Stanley Cup twice, which is part of the reason why Babcock feels Toews has earned the right to serve as the nation’s captain. Even still, Crosby is the team’s best player and was the hero in Canada’s gold medal match against the United States in 2010.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (64)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)