Jan 19, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Crosby, who scored the gold medal-winning goal for Canada against the United States at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, is the best player on Canada’s roster and as well as captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins. The bigger news here would’ve been if he wasn’t named to lead the team.
Joining Crosby as leaders will be Team Canada’s alternate captains — Chicago’s Jonathan Toews and Nashville’s Shea Weber. Both players are captains of their NHL teams as well giving Canada numerous character guys to take charge.
If the Olympics were based on the number of captains on a roster, Canada would be a heavy favorite there as well.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 20
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)