Jan 19, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Crosby, who scored the gold medal-winning goal for Canada against the United States at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, is the best player on Canada’s roster and as well as captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins. The bigger news here would’ve been if he wasn’t named to lead the team.
Joining Crosby as leaders will be Team Canada’s alternate captains — Chicago’s Jonathan Toews and Nashville’s Shea Weber. Both players are captains of their NHL teams as well giving Canada numerous character guys to take charge.
If the Olympics were based on the number of captains on a roster, Canada would be a heavy favorite there as well.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 6
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)