Jan 23, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Flames GM Brian Burke addressed law students at the University of Calgary in a public lecture earlier this week, but still managed to squeeze in some hockey talk.
“I’m not happy with the [$25,000] fine that Coach Hartley received,” said Burke, per UToday. “Especially since we all know the Canucks started it.”
Burke, who was at the university speaking about breaking into the world of sports law (and to be fair, may have delivered the comment tongue-in-cheek), previously issued a statement saying he disagreed with Hartley’s fine, which came as a result from Saturday’s opening-faceoff line brawl between the Canucks and Flames.
“I am perplexed by this fine,” Burke said, per Calgary’s Twitter account. “I stand behind Bob Hartley completely in this regard and remain confident that he acted properly in every aspect of this game.”
The NHL dinged Hartley for “conduct prejudicial to or against the welfare of the League.”
“We are holding Mr. Hartley responsible for the actions of Flames’ right wing Kevin Westgarth, who took the game’s opening face-off and attempted to instigate a premeditated fight with an unwilling opponent — the Canucks’ Kevin Bieksa,” the league said in a statement.
Canucks head coach John Tortorella, who tried to go after Hartley during the first intermission, was suspended 15 days for his actions.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)