Jan 23, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Flames GM Brian Burke addressed law students at the University of Calgary in a public lecture earlier this week, but still managed to squeeze in some hockey talk.
“I’m not happy with the [$25,000] fine that Coach Hartley received,” said Burke, per UToday. “Especially since we all know the Canucks started it.”
Burke, who was at the university speaking about breaking into the world of sports law (and to be fair, may have delivered the comment tongue-in-cheek), previously issued a statement saying he disagreed with Hartley’s fine, which came as a result from Saturday’s opening-faceoff line brawl between the Canucks and Flames.
“I am perplexed by this fine,” Burke said, per Calgary’s Twitter account. “I stand behind Bob Hartley completely in this regard and remain confident that he acted properly in every aspect of this game.”
The NHL dinged Hartley for “conduct prejudicial to or against the welfare of the League.”
“We are holding Mr. Hartley responsible for the actions of Flames’ right wing Kevin Westgarth, who took the game’s opening face-off and attempted to instigate a premeditated fight with an unwilling opponent — the Canucks’ Kevin Bieksa,” the league said in a statement.
Canucks head coach John Tortorella, who tried to go after Hartley during the first intermission, was suspended 15 days for his actions.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)