Jan 23, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Flames GM Brian Burke addressed law students at the University of Calgary in a public lecture earlier this week, but still managed to squeeze in some hockey talk.
“I’m not happy with the [$25,000] fine that Coach Hartley received,” said Burke, per UToday. “Especially since we all know the Canucks started it.”
Burke, who was at the university speaking about breaking into the world of sports law (and to be fair, may have delivered the comment tongue-in-cheek), previously issued a statement saying he disagreed with Hartley’s fine, which came as a result from Saturday’s opening-faceoff line brawl between the Canucks and Flames.
“I am perplexed by this fine,” Burke said, per Calgary’s Twitter account. “I stand behind Bob Hartley completely in this regard and remain confident that he acted properly in every aspect of this game.”
The NHL dinged Hartley for “conduct prejudicial to or against the welfare of the League.”
“We are holding Mr. Hartley responsible for the actions of Flames’ right wing Kevin Westgarth, who took the game’s opening face-off and attempted to instigate a premeditated fight with an unwilling opponent — the Canucks’ Kevin Bieksa,” the league said in a statement.
Canucks head coach John Tortorella, who tried to go after Hartley during the first intermission, was suspended 15 days for his actions.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 25
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)