Jan 18, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks haven’t been able to score lately and the Flames are one of the worst teams offensively this season. They’re gaining ground on the league lead in major penalties though.
A mere two seconds into the Saturday’s contest, Vancouver and Calgary had already combined for 142 penalty minutes. Calgary’s Kevin Westgarth, Chris Butler, Blair Jones, and Ladislav Smid had all been handed game misconducts. On the Canucks side, Kellan Lain, Dale Weise, and Kevin Bieksa were similarly booted.
Vancouver Canucks coach John Tortorella was absolutely furious as he yelled at the Calgary Flames bench.
You can view the incident below:
This event was reminiscent of the game-opening line brawl between the New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers back in March 2012. Tortorella, then the Rangers’ coach, was upset at the line Devils bench boss Peter DeBoer chose to start the contest.
“I guess in John’s world you can come into our building and start your tough guys, but we can’t do the same in here,” DeBoer said in response. “He’s either got short-term memory loss or he’s a hypocrite. So it’s one of the other.”
Update: Tortorella hadn’t calmed down by the first intermission. He was seen pushing people in the hallway by the Flames’ dressing room:
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)