Jan 18, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks haven’t been able to score lately and the Flames are one of the worst teams offensively this season. They’re gaining ground on the league lead in major penalties though.
A mere two seconds into the Saturday’s contest, Vancouver and Calgary had already combined for 142 penalty minutes. Calgary’s Kevin Westgarth, Chris Butler, Blair Jones, and Ladislav Smid had all been handed game misconducts. On the Canucks side, Kellan Lain, Dale Weise, and Kevin Bieksa were similarly booted.
Vancouver Canucks coach John Tortorella was absolutely furious as he yelled at the Calgary Flames bench.
You can view the incident below:
This event was reminiscent of the game-opening line brawl between the New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers back in March 2012. Tortorella, then the Rangers’ coach, was upset at the line Devils bench boss Peter DeBoer chose to start the contest.
“I guess in John’s world you can come into our building and start your tough guys, but we can’t do the same in here,” DeBoer said in response. “He’s either got short-term memory loss or he’s a hypocrite. So it’s one of the other.”
Update: Tortorella hadn’t calmed down by the first intermission. He was seen pushing people in the hallway by the Flames’ dressing room:
- Devils fire DeBoer 5
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 1
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 8
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)