Jan 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Grubauer, 22, departs the NHL with an impressive .926 save percentage in 14 starts; however, his last couple of outings have been rough ones.
Granted, considering the Caps are surrendering an average of 34.0 shots per game — the third most in the NHL — goaltending is far from the only problem for the players, coach and general manager George McPhee, the latter of whom may be feeling pressure to address his team’s issues with a move.
“We’re in a slump right now, that’s for sure,” forward Nicklas Backstrom said. “We have to start playing way better around here. It’s tough right now.”
Washington hosts Ottawa tomorrow.
Adam Oates said that Philipp Grubauer's demotion was less about his play and more about the team's play. "We lost that spark in a sense."—
Adam Vingan (@AdamVingan) January 20, 2014
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)