Jan 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Grubauer, 22, departs the NHL with an impressive .926 save percentage in 14 starts; however, his last couple of outings have been rough ones.
Granted, considering the Caps are surrendering an average of 34.0 shots per game — the third most in the NHL — goaltending is far from the only problem for the players, coach and general manager George McPhee, the latter of whom may be feeling pressure to address his team’s issues with a move.
“We’re in a slump right now, that’s for sure,” forward Nicklas Backstrom said. “We have to start playing way better around here. It’s tough right now.”
Washington hosts Ottawa tomorrow.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53