Jan 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
Grubauer, 22, departs the NHL with an impressive .926 save percentage in 14 starts; however, his last couple of outings have been rough ones.
Granted, considering the Caps are surrendering an average of 34.0 shots per game — the third most in the NHL — goaltending is far from the only problem for the players, coach and general manager George McPhee, the latter of whom may be feeling pressure to address his team’s issues with a move.
“We’re in a slump right now, that’s for sure,” forward Nicklas Backstrom said. “We have to start playing way better around here. It’s tough right now.”
Washington hosts Ottawa tomorrow.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35