Jan 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Grubauer, 22, departs the NHL with an impressive .926 save percentage in 14 starts; however, his last couple of outings have been rough ones.
Granted, considering the Caps are surrendering an average of 34.0 shots per game — the third most in the NHL — goaltending is far from the only problem for the players, coach and general manager George McPhee, the latter of whom may be feeling pressure to address his team’s issues with a move.
“We’re in a slump right now, that’s for sure,” forward Nicklas Backstrom said. “We have to start playing way better around here. It’s tough right now.”
Washington hosts Ottawa tomorrow.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)