Jan 17, 2014, 1:49 PM EST
Rookie goalie Philipp Grubauer will start again tonight when his Capitals visit the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
“We still have confidence in all our goalies,” said coach Adam Oates, “but he’s obviously been the hot guy, so we’re going with him.”
What’s more, the Caps have just two wins in their last nine and find themselves clinging to a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. So Oates’ decision doesn’t come as a huge surprise.
It’s worth mentioning, however, that Holtby hasn’t played since Jan. 4, almost two weeks ago, when he allowed five goals on just 11 shots in a confidence-shaking 5-3 loss to the Wild. And that start came two weeks after his next-to-last one, on Dec. 21, when he let in five goals versus the Devils. Which came four days after allowing five goals versus the Flyers.
So to recap: Holtby has started three times in the last month. All three times he’s allowed five goals and the Caps have lost.
Not that all goalies don’t go through tough stretches, but Holtby is still relatively unproven in the NHL. He’s only 24, and he only has 81 career starts, plus 21 more in the playoffs. Though his career numbers remain excellent (.919 SV% in the regular season; .931 playoffs), he’s certainly facing some adversity now.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)