Jan 17, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Rookie goalie Philipp Grubauer will start again tonight when his Capitals visit the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
“We still have confidence in all our goalies,” said coach Adam Oates, “but he’s obviously been the hot guy, so we’re going with him.”
What’s more, the Caps have just two wins in their last nine and find themselves clinging to a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. So Oates’ decision doesn’t come as a huge surprise.
It’s worth mentioning, however, that Holtby hasn’t played since Jan. 4, almost two weeks ago, when he allowed five goals on just 11 shots in a confidence-shaking 5-3 loss to the Wild. And that start came two weeks after his next-to-last one, on Dec. 21, when he let in five goals versus the Devils. Which came four days after allowing five goals versus the Flyers.
So to recap: Holtby has started three times in the last month. All three times he’s allowed five goals and the Caps have lost.
Not that all goalies don’t go through tough stretches, but Holtby is still relatively unproven in the NHL. He’s only 24, and he only has 81 career starts, plus 21 more in the playoffs. Though his career numbers remain excellent (.919 SV% in the regular season; .931 playoffs), he’s certainly facing some adversity now.
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 50
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 11
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 98
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 40
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)