Jan 17, 2014, 1:49 PM EST
Rookie goalie Philipp Grubauer will start again tonight when his Capitals visit the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
“We still have confidence in all our goalies,” said coach Adam Oates, “but he’s obviously been the hot guy, so we’re going with him.”
What’s more, the Caps have just two wins in their last nine and find themselves clinging to a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. So Oates’ decision doesn’t come as a huge surprise.
It’s worth mentioning, however, that Holtby hasn’t played since Jan. 4, almost two weeks ago, when he allowed five goals on just 11 shots in a confidence-shaking 5-3 loss to the Wild. And that start came two weeks after his next-to-last one, on Dec. 21, when he let in five goals versus the Devils. Which came four days after allowing five goals versus the Flyers.
So to recap: Holtby has started three times in the last month. All three times he’s allowed five goals and the Caps have lost.
Not that all goalies don’t go through tough stretches, but Holtby is still relatively unproven in the NHL. He’s only 24, and he only has 81 career starts, plus 21 more in the playoffs. Though his career numbers remain excellent (.919 SV% in the regular season; .931 playoffs), he’s certainly facing some adversity now.
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 1
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 4
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 6
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 16
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 42
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)