Jan 19, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
There was no penalty on the play, much to Cooke’s dismay. You can see the incident below:
Given that Cooke is the victim, some people will allow that to color their judgement.
Cooke does have a lengthy suspension history and while he hasn’t gotten in trouble nearly as often in recent years, he’s still been the center of some controversies. It was less than a year ago that Cooke was being attacked by accusations that he deliberately cut Ottawa defenseman Erik Karlsson‘s Achilles tendon with his skate.
A hit to the head is still a hit to the head though, regardless of who is on the receiving end of it and even though Benn hasn’t been punished for his actions yet, he still might be.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)