Mar 27, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
A freakish stream of injuries probably made some Ottawa Senators fans a little loopy. Apparently that zaniness extends to the team’s owner Eugene Melnyk.
You’d think Melnyk might have cooled off on claiming that Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke intentionally hurt stud defenseman Erik Karlsson, but you’d be wrong. Sportsnet’s John Shannon passes along word that Melnyk told PrimeTime Sports that he’s conducting a forensic study to prove that Cooke did it on purpose.
Here’s the Tweet, because it really just takes you aback in print:
Eugene Melnyk just told PrimeTime Sports that MCooke intentionally hurt EKarlsson and he is in the midst of a forensic study to prove it.
— John Shannon (@JSportsnet) March 27, 2013
Yup, that’s pretty whacky. Speaking of Karlsson, he at least left the door open to an unlikely return sometime this season/in the playoffs, for what it’s worth.
I can’t help but imagine David Caruso from “CSI: Miami” fame getting on this case (at least one person made a “CSI: Ottawa” joke), so it only seems right that there’s a photo of Caruso with the Stanley Cup via Getty:
Looks like he left behind some evidence …
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 53
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (54)