Mar 27, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
A freakish stream of injuries probably made some Ottawa Senators fans a little loopy. Apparently that zaniness extends to the team’s owner Eugene Melnyk.
You’d think Melnyk might have cooled off on claiming that Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke intentionally hurt stud defenseman Erik Karlsson, but you’d be wrong. Sportsnet’s John Shannon passes along word that Melnyk told PrimeTime Sports that he’s conducting a forensic study to prove that Cooke did it on purpose.
Here’s the Tweet, because it really just takes you aback in print:
Eugene Melnyk just told PrimeTime Sports that MCooke intentionally hurt EKarlsson and he is in the midst of a forensic study to prove it.
— John Shannon (@JSportsnet) March 27, 2013
Yup, that’s pretty whacky. Speaking of Karlsson, he at least left the door open to an unlikely return sometime this season/in the playoffs, for what it’s worth.
I can’t help but imagine David Caruso from “CSI: Miami” fame getting on this case (at least one person made a “CSI: Ottawa” joke), so it only seems right that there’s a photo of Caruso with the Stanley Cup via Getty:
Looks like he left behind some evidence …
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)