Mar 27, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
A freakish stream of injuries probably made some Ottawa Senators fans a little loopy. Apparently that zaniness extends to the team’s owner Eugene Melnyk.
You’d think Melnyk might have cooled off on claiming that Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke intentionally hurt stud defenseman Erik Karlsson, but you’d be wrong. Sportsnet’s John Shannon passes along word that Melnyk told PrimeTime Sports that he’s conducting a forensic study to prove that Cooke did it on purpose.
Here’s the Tweet, because it really just takes you aback in print:
Eugene Melnyk just told PrimeTime Sports that MCooke intentionally hurt EKarlsson and he is in the midst of a forensic study to prove it.
— John Shannon (@JSportsnet) March 27, 2013
Yup, that’s pretty whacky. Speaking of Karlsson, he at least left the door open to an unlikely return sometime this season/in the playoffs, for what it’s worth.
I can’t help but imagine David Caruso from “CSI: Miami” fame getting on this case (at least one person made a “CSI: Ottawa” joke), so it only seems right that there’s a photo of Caruso with the Stanley Cup via Getty:
Looks like he left behind some evidence …
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 29
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)