Mar 26, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
Ottawa Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson hasn’t ruled out a return this season.
Karlsson, the 2012 Norris Trophy winner as the NHL’s top defenseman, had his left Achilles Tendon sliced by the skate of Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke during a hit along the boards during a game in February.
Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray said last month the recovery for such an injury, which Karlsson had surgery to repair what was a “70 per cent cut” of his Achilles, is three-to-four months.
On Monday, Don Brennan of the QMI Agency reported that Karlsson spoke to reporters during the first intermission of the Senators’ 3-2 shootout win over the New Jersey Devils.
According to Brennan, Karlsson wouldn’t say ‘No’ when asked if there was a chance he could return for the playoffs. However, there appears to be no timeline for when he might start skating.
“Tough to say right now,” Karlsson told the QMI Agency.
“As of now, it’s going to be awhile. Anything can happen, anything can change, but right now we’re not aiming for a certain date or anything. We’re just trying to make it feel better and get everything back to normal.”
Karlsson had six goals and 10 points in 14 games prior to the injury.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 37
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 31
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 26
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)