Mar 26, 2013, 12:50 AM EST
Ottawa Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson hasn’t ruled out a return this season.
Karlsson, the 2012 Norris Trophy winner as the NHL’s top defenseman, had his left Achilles Tendon sliced by the skate of Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke during a hit along the boards during a game in February.
Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray said last month the recovery for such an injury, which Karlsson had surgery to repair what was a “70 per cent cut” of his Achilles, is three-to-four months.
On Monday, Don Brennan of the QMI Agency reported that Karlsson spoke to reporters during the first intermission of the Senators’ 3-2 shootout win over the New Jersey Devils.
According to Brennan, Karlsson wouldn’t say ‘No’ when asked if there was a chance he could return for the playoffs. However, there appears to be no timeline for when he might start skating.
“Tough to say right now,” Karlsson told the QMI Agency.
“As of now, it’s going to be awhile. Anything can happen, anything can change, but right now we’re not aiming for a certain date or anything. We’re just trying to make it feel better and get everything back to normal.”
Karlsson had six goals and 10 points in 14 games prior to the injury.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)