Jan 18, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers took a chance that the Steve Mason of old wouldn’t resurface when they inked him to three-year, $12.3 million contract this afternoon. Especially after the Flyers’ experience with Ilya Bryzgalov, their fans have every reason to be weary.
That makes Mason’s performance against the New York Islanders tonight a case of horrible timing at the very least.
The 25-year-old goaltender allowed four goals on 24 shots to get pulled late in the second period of the contest.
Here’s the goal that ended Mason’s night:
He has now allowed at least three goals in eight of his last 11 starts. That concerning trend has been somewhat overshadowed by the Flyers’ recent offensive surge, but Philadelphia can only succeed for so long if they are often forced to net at least four goals in order to come out on top.
Steve Mason: 15 GA last four starts (and pulled twice), most he's allowed over any 4-game span since he joined Flyers.
— Bob Waterman (@esbbob) January 19, 2014
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 16
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 24
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)