Jan 18, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
Steve Mason and the Philadelphia Flyers agreed to a contract extension on Saturday, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. HNIC’s Elliotte Friedman reports that it’s a three-year, $12.3 million deal. (That’s a $4.1 million cap hit.)
Here’s a quick timeline on how Mason went from being a backup in Columbus to a well-paid No. 1 in Philly:
- Jan. 23, 2013: He finally played his first game of the season following the lockout.
- 2012-13 in general: Sergei Bobrovsky didn’t just nab the No. 1 job from Mason in Columbus, he also won the 2013 Vezina Trophy.
- April 3, 2013: The Blue Jackets traded him to Philly.
- April 8, 2013: Mason gets a one-year, $1.5 million deal from the Flyers.
- 2013-14 season: Mason plays surprisingly well, holding off Ray Emery‘s backup threat.
- Today: Mason reportedly receives the long-term security he was likely seeking, although the Philadelphia Daily News’ Frank Seravalli notes that the Flyers didn’t want to give him more than three years.
Considering Mason’s lengthy struggles in Columbus, many will mock this extension. Still, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren didn’t seem too concerned with the snickers he received for acquiring the former Calder Trophy winner when his value was at an all-time low, and Mason paid off handsomely for the team.
We’ll see over the next few years if this was another costly gamble in net for the Flyers or if he might provide the affordable answer they’ve been seeking.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)