Jan 18, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
Steve Mason and the Philadelphia Flyers agreed to a contract extension on Saturday, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. HNIC’s Elliotte Friedman reports that it’s a three-year, $12.3 million deal. (That’s a $4.1 million cap hit.)
Here’s a quick timeline on how Mason went from being a backup in Columbus to a well-paid No. 1 in Philly:
- Jan. 23, 2013: He finally played his first game of the season following the lockout.
- 2012-13 in general: Sergei Bobrovsky didn’t just nab the No. 1 job from Mason in Columbus, he also won the 2013 Vezina Trophy.
- April 3, 2013: The Blue Jackets traded him to Philly.
- April 8, 2013: Mason gets a one-year, $1.5 million deal from the Flyers.
- 2013-14 season: Mason plays surprisingly well, holding off Ray Emery‘s backup threat.
- Today: Mason reportedly receives the long-term security he was likely seeking, although the Philadelphia Daily News’ Frank Seravalli notes that the Flyers didn’t want to give him more than three years.
Considering Mason’s lengthy struggles in Columbus, many will mock this extension. Still, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren didn’t seem too concerned with the snickers he received for acquiring the former Calder Trophy winner when his value was at an all-time low, and Mason paid off handsomely for the team.
We’ll see over the next few years if this was another costly gamble in net for the Flyers or if he might provide the affordable answer they’ve been seeking.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)