Jan 18, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Steve Mason and the Philadelphia Flyers agreed to a contract extension on Saturday, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. HNIC’s Elliotte Friedman reports that it’s a three-year, $12.3 million deal. (That’s a $4.1 million cap hit.)
Here’s a quick timeline on how Mason went from being a backup in Columbus to a well-paid No. 1 in Philly:
- Jan. 23, 2013: He finally played his first game of the season following the lockout.
- 2012-13 in general: Sergei Bobrovsky didn’t just nab the No. 1 job from Mason in Columbus, he also won the 2013 Vezina Trophy.
- April 3, 2013: The Blue Jackets traded him to Philly.
- April 8, 2013: Mason gets a one-year, $1.5 million deal from the Flyers.
- 2013-14 season: Mason plays surprisingly well, holding off Ray Emery‘s backup threat.
- Today: Mason reportedly receives the long-term security he was likely seeking, although the Philadelphia Daily News’ Frank Seravalli notes that the Flyers didn’t want to give him more than three years.
Considering Mason’s lengthy struggles in Columbus, many will mock this extension. Still, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren didn’t seem too concerned with the snickers he received for acquiring the former Calder Trophy winner when his value was at an all-time low, and Mason paid off handsomely for the team.
We’ll see over the next few years if this was another costly gamble in net for the Flyers or if he might provide the affordable answer they’ve been seeking.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 4
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)