Jan 17, 2014, 12:38 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks thought their three-game road trip through California and Arizona got off to such a positive start, despite opening it with a loss in L.A.
But whatever moral victory – the popular phrase in Vancouver this week – the Canucks believed they earned in that physical confrontation with the Kings four days ago took a drastic turn in a negative direction. The road trip ended with a 1-0 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday night.
Hard to believe that a team lost twice by a score of 1-0 in a three-game span and still got outscored 11-1 overall. But it happened. Sandwiched in between was that embarrassing 9-1 loss to the red-hot Anaheim Ducks.
Over the last week, they’ve tried to be a more physical, aggressive team. A lot of fights and penalty minutes. But goals? Not so much, prompting the question: What’s going on with the Canucks?
Now, they face the threat of injuries to some key forwards. Mike Santorelli left the game after getting tangled up with Martin Hanzal on a faceoff in the third period. Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun reported after the game that Santorelli was spotted with his right arm in a sling.
Henrik Sedin, Vancouver’s captain, and David Booth were also injured in the third period. Booth was on the receiving end of a high stick from Hanzal that landed the Coyotes forward a double-minor with less than five minutes remaining in the game.
But the Canucks couldn’t capitalize on the four-minute power play. In fact, they didn’t even really get set up. The Canucks finished the night a dreadful 0-for-7 with the man-advantage.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)