Jan 10, 2014, 12:48 AM EDT
It started as a rude welcome back from the holiday break. It’s grown into a monumental slump, and an end doesn’t appear in sight.
The Calgary Flames were shut out 5-0 by the visiting (and red-hot) St. Louis Blues on Thursday. That’s the fifth time in the past seven games the Flames have been held off the score sheet. They’ve been outscored 11-0 in the past two games.
And the Battle of Alberta, once one of the storied rivalries in the NHL, has turned into a battle to see who can escape the bottom of the Pacific Division.
“We’re pros and we said right from the start that we’re starting a rebuild. We’re hitting major speed bumps right now,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley, as per Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)