Jan 10, 2014, 12:48 AM EDT
It started as a rude welcome back from the holiday break. It’s grown into a monumental slump, and an end doesn’t appear in sight.
The Calgary Flames were shut out 5-0 by the visiting (and red-hot) St. Louis Blues on Thursday. That’s the fifth time in the past seven games the Flames have been held off the score sheet. They’ve been outscored 11-0 in the past two games.
And the Battle of Alberta, once one of the storied rivalries in the NHL, has turned into a battle to see who can escape the bottom of the Pacific Division.
“We’re pros and we said right from the start that we’re starting a rebuild. We’re hitting major speed bumps right now,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley, as per Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald.
"exactly on this topic. There’s going to be lots of rumours, there’s going to be lots of speculation around this team in the upcoming wks."—
Kristen Odland (@KristenOdlandCH) January 10, 2014
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 2
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 38
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)