Jan 10, 2014, 12:48 AM EDT
It started as a rude welcome back from the holiday break. It’s grown into a monumental slump, and an end doesn’t appear in sight.
The Calgary Flames were shut out 5-0 by the visiting (and red-hot) St. Louis Blues on Thursday. That’s the fifth time in the past seven games the Flames have been held off the score sheet. They’ve been outscored 11-0 in the past two games.
And the Battle of Alberta, once one of the storied rivalries in the NHL, has turned into a battle to see who can escape the bottom of the Pacific Division.
“We’re pros and we said right from the start that we’re starting a rebuild. We’re hitting major speed bumps right now,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley, as per Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)