Jan 10, 2014, 12:48 AM EDT
It started as a rude welcome back from the holiday break. It’s grown into a monumental slump, and an end doesn’t appear in sight.
The Calgary Flames were shut out 5-0 by the visiting (and red-hot) St. Louis Blues on Thursday. That’s the fifth time in the past seven games the Flames have been held off the score sheet. They’ve been outscored 11-0 in the past two games.
And the Battle of Alberta, once one of the storied rivalries in the NHL, has turned into a battle to see who can escape the bottom of the Pacific Division.
“We’re pros and we said right from the start that we’re starting a rebuild. We’re hitting major speed bumps right now,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley, as per Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald.
"exactly on this topic. There’s going to be lots of rumours, there’s going to be lots of speculation around this team in the upcoming wks."—
Kristen Odland (@KristenOdlandCH) January 10, 2014
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5