Jan 10, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have called up goalie John Gibson from AHL Norfolk while sending down goalie Frederik Andersen.
Andersen was a revelation earlier this season, but the 24-year-old’s last three NHL starts have seen him surrender nine goals on just 70 shots, a save percentage of .871. Apparently the Ducks want to get him more action in the minors, which he’ll receive tonight against Portland.
Gibson, meanwhile, has gone 11-9-3 (.915 SV%) with the Admirals. The highly touted 20-year-old was the 39th pick in the 2011 draft.
The Ducks play Saturday in Phoenix and Sunday at home versus Detroit. No word yet if Gibson will make his NHL debut in one of those games.
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 0
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 9
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 11
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4