Jan 10, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have called up goalie John Gibson from AHL Norfolk while sending down goalie Frederik Andersen.
Andersen was a revelation earlier this season, but the 24-year-old’s last three NHL starts have seen him surrender nine goals on just 70 shots, a save percentage of .871. Apparently the Ducks want to get him more action in the minors, which he’ll receive tonight against Portland.
Gibson, meanwhile, has gone 11-9-3 (.915 SV%) with the Admirals. The highly touted 20-year-old was the 39th pick in the 2011 draft.
The Ducks play Saturday in Phoenix and Sunday at home versus Detroit. No word yet if Gibson will make his NHL debut in one of those games.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21