Jan 8, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have promoted former unilingual Canadiens interim coach Randy Cunneyworth from the role of pro scout to special assistant and player development coach for the Rochester Americans, the team’s AHL affiliate.
“This is an exciting opportunity to fully utilize all of Randy’s expertise as a hockey coach and mentor,” said Pat LaFontaine, the Sabres’ president of hockey operations, in a release. “Randy will work to ensure that the link between the Sabres and Amerks grows even stronger. Our goal is to make sure that the Amerks continue to thrive in developing and harnessing talent at the AHL level to be a reliable pipeline of NHL-ready players for the Sabres’ roster in the future.”
Player development is an important area for every NHL team, but even more important for rebuilding ones like the Sabres.
PS — If you’re reading this, Randy, what’s the plan for Mikhail Grigorenko?
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 47
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (48)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)