Dec 22, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
Randy Cunneyworth’s got enough problems with his hockey team, thanks very much. The Canadiens’ interim head coach said today in Winnipeg that the controversy over his inability to speak French is outside his immediate focus.
“I’m not even concerned with that,” said Cunneyworth, as per the Winnipeg Free Press. “Those are stories I haven’t even read or looked at or thought about. I have enough on my plate with the group we have. We’re just trying to win some hockey games.”
They might have to try harder. The Habs have lost four straight, three of them under Cunneyworth, who took over from the fired Jacques Martin on Saturday. Yesterday in Chicago, Montreal got smoked, 5-1, by the Blackhawks.
The Canadiens sit 12th in the Eastern Conference, three points back of a playoff spot. Worse, all 11 teams above the Habs in the standings have at least a game in hand. Ninth-place Washington has three.
The good news for Cunneyworth is he doesn’t have to go back to Montreal for a while. The Canadiens’ next home game isn’t until Jan. 4.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 11
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 51
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 18
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)