Jan 7, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
“An easy decision,” Wings blueliner and fellow Swede Niklas Kronwall told MLive.com. “I think he’s the best we have, a great captain in so many ways.”
In being named captain, Zetterberg continues in the footsteps of Swedish legend Nicklas Lidstrom.
Lidstrom served as Detroit’s captain for six years before handing the reins to Zetterberg, who’s served for the last two. The same transition will occur internationally, as it was Lidstrom that served as the Swedish captain during the last Olympics in Vancouver.
“It’s awesome,” Zetterberg said of inheriting the ‘C’. “It’s an honor.”
Zetterberg, 33, boasts a wealth of international experience. He’s participated in three Olympic Games — capturing gold in ’06 — and has represented his country at a number of World Championships (most recently in ’12).
He’ll also have a strong leadership group supporting him in Sochi. Vancouver captain Henrik Sedin confirmed he would be one of Sweden’s alternate captains for the Olympics, and it’s very likely former Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson will garner consideration as an alternate as well.
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 0
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 20
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)