Jan 7, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
“An easy decision,” Wings blueliner and fellow Swede Niklas Kronwall told MLive.com. “I think he’s the best we have, a great captain in so many ways.”
In being named captain, Zetterberg continues in the footsteps of Swedish legend Nicklas Lidstrom.
Lidstrom served as Detroit’s captain for six years before handing the reins to Zetterberg, who’s served for the last two. The same transition will occur internationally, as it was Lidstrom that served as the Swedish captain during the last Olympics in Vancouver.
“It’s awesome,” Zetterberg said of inheriting the ‘C’. “It’s an honor.”
Zetterberg, 33, boasts a wealth of international experience. He’s participated in three Olympic Games — capturing gold in ’06 — and has represented his country at a number of World Championships (most recently in ’12).
He’ll also have a strong leadership group supporting him in Sochi. Vancouver captain Henrik Sedin confirmed he would be one of Sweden’s alternate captains for the Olympics, and it’s very likely former Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson will garner consideration as an alternate as well.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)