Jan 7, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
“An easy decision,” Wings blueliner and fellow Swede Niklas Kronwall told MLive.com. “I think he’s the best we have, a great captain in so many ways.”
In being named captain, Zetterberg continues in the footsteps of Swedish legend Nicklas Lidstrom.
Lidstrom served as Detroit’s captain for six years before handing the reins to Zetterberg, who’s served for the last two. The same transition will occur internationally, as it was Lidstrom that served as the Swedish captain during the last Olympics in Vancouver.
“It’s awesome,” Zetterberg said of inheriting the ‘C’. “It’s an honor.”
Zetterberg, 33, boasts a wealth of international experience. He’s participated in three Olympic Games — capturing gold in ’06 — and has represented his country at a number of World Championships (most recently in ’12).
He’ll also have a strong leadership group supporting him in Sochi. Vancouver captain Henrik Sedin confirmed he would be one of Sweden’s alternate captains for the Olympics, and it’s very likely former Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson will garner consideration as an alternate as well.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)