Jan 7, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Sweden is one of the heavyweights going into the 2014 Winter Games and it shows with a roster almost completely compromised of NHL talent, including plenty of star players.
Sweden’s offense will likely be its greatest strength with Henrik Zetterberg, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, and Nicklas Backstrom leading the charge. They also have some question marks in that regard as both Loui Eriksson and Alexander Steen are recovering from concussions. Having both of them available for the Olympics would be a huge boost for Sweden.
On the other end of the spectrum, the team’s goaltending is a potential area of concern. Henrik Lundqvist has struggled with the New York Rangers this season and Sweden will just have to hope that he fares better in the international tournament. If not, they’ll have to rely on Jhonas Enroth and Jonas Gustavsson.
As far as snubs go, this team has plenty including forwards Patric Hornqvist, Marcus Johansson, and perhaps most notably, Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman. They also chose not to go with Ottawa’s Robin Lehner or Mika Zibanejad, Boston forward Carl Soderberg, Detroit’s Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist, Nashville’s Viktor Stalberg or Toronto’s Carl Gunnarsson.
Here’s the Swedish roster in full:
Goaltenders: Jhonas Enroth, Jonas Gustavsson, Henrik Lundqvist.
Forwards: Daniel Alfredsson, Nicklas Backstrom, Patrik Berglund, Jimmie Ericsson, Loui Eriksson, Johan Franzen, Carl Hagelin, Marcus Kruger, Gabriel Landeskog, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Jakob Silfverberg, Alexander Steen, Henrik Zetterberg.
UPDATE: Unfortunately, Sweden won’t end up with both of the Sedin twins. Henrik is sidelined and has been replaced with Marcus Johansson. Sweden also lost Johan Franzen and consequently swapped him out with one of his Detroit Red Wings teammates, Gustav Nyquist.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)