Jan 7, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Sweden is one of the heavyweights going into the 2014 Winter Games and it shows with a roster almost completely compromised of NHL talent, including plenty of star players.
Sweden’s offense will likely be its greatest strength with Henrik Zetterberg, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, and Nicklas Backstrom leading the charge. They also have some question marks in that regard as both Loui Eriksson and Alexander Steen are recovering from concussions. Having both of them available for the Olympics would be a huge boost for Sweden.
On the other end of the spectrum, the team’s goaltending is a potential area of concern. Henrik Lundqvist has struggled with the New York Rangers this season and Sweden will just have to hope that he fares better in the international tournament. If not, they’ll have to rely on Jhonas Enroth and Jonas Gustavsson.
As far as snubs go, this team has plenty including forwards Patric Hornqvist, Marcus Johansson, and perhaps most notably, Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman. They also chose not to go with Ottawa’s Robin Lehner or Mika Zibanejad, Boston forward Carl Soderberg, Detroit’s Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist, Nashville’s Viktor Stalberg or Toronto’s Carl Gunnarsson.
Here’s the Swedish roster in full:
Goaltenders: Jhonas Enroth, Jonas Gustavsson, Henrik Lundqvist.
Forwards: Daniel Alfredsson, Nicklas Backstrom, Patrik Berglund, Jimmie Ericsson, Loui Eriksson, Johan Franzen, Carl Hagelin, Marcus Kruger, Gabriel Landeskog, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Jakob Silfverberg, Alexander Steen, Henrik Zetterberg.
UPDATE: Unfortunately, Sweden won’t end up with both of the Sedin twins. Henrik is sidelined and has been replaced with Marcus Johansson. Sweden also lost Johan Franzen and consequently swapped him out with one of his Detroit Red Wings teammates, Gustav Nyquist.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)