Jan 7, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Sweden is one of the heavyweights going into the 2014 Winter Games and it shows with a roster almost completely compromised of NHL talent, including plenty of star players.
Sweden’s offense will likely be its greatest strength with Henrik Zetterberg, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, and Nicklas Backstrom leading the charge. They also have some question marks in that regard as both Loui Eriksson and Alexander Steen are recovering from concussions. Having both of them available for the Olympics would be a huge boost for Sweden.
On the other end of the spectrum, the team’s goaltending is a potential area of concern. Henrik Lundqvist has struggled with the New York Rangers this season and Sweden will just have to hope that he fares better in the international tournament. If not, they’ll have to rely on Jhonas Enroth and Jonas Gustavsson.
As far as snubs go, this team has plenty including forwards Patric Hornqvist, Marcus Johansson, and perhaps most notably, Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman. They also chose not to go with Ottawa’s Robin Lehner or Mika Zibanejad, Boston forward Carl Soderberg, Detroit’s Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist, Nashville’s Viktor Stalberg or Toronto’s Carl Gunnarsson.
Here’s the Swedish roster in full:
Goaltenders: Jhonas Enroth, Jonas Gustavsson, Henrik Lundqvist.
Forwards: Daniel Alfredsson, Nicklas Backstrom, Patrik Berglund, Jimmie Ericsson, Loui Eriksson, Johan Franzen, Carl Hagelin, Marcus Kruger, Gabriel Landeskog, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Jakob Silfverberg, Alexander Steen, Henrik Zetterberg.
UPDATE: Unfortunately, Sweden won’t end up with both of the Sedin twins. Henrik is sidelined and has been replaced with Marcus Johansson. Sweden also lost Johan Franzen and consequently swapped him out with one of his Detroit Red Wings teammates, Gustav Nyquist.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 31
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (54)