Jan 7, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Sweden is one of the heavyweights going into the 2014 Winter Games and it shows with a roster almost completely compromised of NHL talent, including plenty of star players.
Sweden’s offense will likely be its greatest strength with Henrik Zetterberg, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, and Nicklas Backstrom leading the charge. They also have some question marks in that regard as both Loui Eriksson and Alexander Steen are recovering from concussions. Having both of them available for the Olympics would be a huge boost for Sweden.
On the other end of the spectrum, the team’s goaltending is a potential area of concern. Henrik Lundqvist has struggled with the New York Rangers this season and Sweden will just have to hope that he fares better in the international tournament. If not, they’ll have to rely on Jhonas Enroth and Jonas Gustavsson.
As far as snubs go, this team has plenty including forwards Patric Hornqvist, Marcus Johansson, and perhaps most notably, Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman. They also chose not to go with Ottawa’s Robin Lehner or Mika Zibanejad, Boston forward Carl Soderberg, Detroit’s Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist, Nashville’s Viktor Stalberg or Toronto’s Carl Gunnarsson.
Here’s the Swedish roster in full:
Goaltenders: Jhonas Enroth, Jonas Gustavsson, Henrik Lundqvist.
Forwards: Daniel Alfredsson, Nicklas Backstrom, Patrik Berglund, Jimmie Ericsson, Loui Eriksson, Johan Franzen, Carl Hagelin, Marcus Kruger, Gabriel Landeskog, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Jakob Silfverberg, Alexander Steen, Henrik Zetterberg.
UPDATE: Unfortunately, Sweden won’t end up with both of the Sedin twins. Henrik is sidelined and has been replaced with Marcus Johansson. Sweden also lost Johan Franzen and consequently swapped him out with one of his Detroit Red Wings teammates, Gustav Nyquist.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)