Jan 7, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
The Flyers can’t believe their captain isn’t going to Sochi.
“Shocking,” Brayden Schenn described it.
“I think it sucks,” Wayne Simmonds said. “Over the last month and a half, to two months, with the exception of our slow start as a team, he’s [bleeping] led our team.”
“I think everyone was disappointed,” Scott Hartnell said. “He deserves to be on that team.”
Giroux had an admittedly slow start to the season — it took him over a month to score his first goal — but has come on recently and is a big reason why Philly has gone 20-10-4 since its rough opening to the campaign.
Giroux had 19 points in 14 December games and ripped off a nine-game point streak, in which he scored six goals and 11 assists. He was also a major catalyst in the club’s first four-game winning stretch of the season and scored this highlight-reel beauty against Columbus:
Giroux seemed upset, but relatively reserved in describing his emotions following the roster announcement.
“It was one of my dreams to play for Team Canada,” Giroux told CSN Philly. “A lot of good players in Canada, a lot of talent, so, obviously, it is disappointing.”
Update: Brian Engblom caught up with Giroux before tonight’s NBCSN game against the New Jersey Devils for a little more:
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)