Jan 7, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
The Flyers can’t believe their captain isn’t going to Sochi.
“Shocking,” Brayden Schenn described it.
“I think it sucks,” Wayne Simmonds said. “Over the last month and a half, to two months, with the exception of our slow start as a team, he’s [bleeping] led our team.”
“I think everyone was disappointed,” Scott Hartnell said. “He deserves to be on that team.”
Giroux had an admittedly slow start to the season — it took him over a month to score his first goal — but has come on recently and is a big reason why Philly has gone 20-10-4 since its rough opening to the campaign.
Giroux had 19 points in 14 December games and ripped off a nine-game point streak, in which he scored six goals and 11 assists. He was also a major catalyst in the club’s first four-game winning stretch of the season and scored this highlight-reel beauty against Columbus:
Giroux seemed upset, but relatively reserved in describing his emotions following the roster announcement.
“It was one of my dreams to play for Team Canada,” Giroux told CSN Philly. “A lot of good players in Canada, a lot of talent, so, obviously, it is disappointing.”
Update: Brian Engblom caught up with Giroux before tonight’s NBCSN game against the New Jersey Devils for a little more:
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)