Schenn: ‘Shocking’ that Giroux didn’t make Team Canada

Jan 7, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT

GirouxSchenn Getty Images

The Flyers can’t believe their captain isn’t going to Sochi.

Following news that Claude Giroux was passed over for the Canadian Olympic team, several of Giroux’s teammates jumped to his defense and criticized the decision, per the Philadelphia Daily News:

“Shocking,” Brayden Schenn described it.

“I think it sucks,” Wayne Simmonds said. “Over the last month and a half, to two months, with the exception of our slow start as a team, he’s [bleeping] led our team.”

“I think everyone was disappointed,” Scott Hartnell said. “He deserves to be on that team.”

Giroux had an admittedly slow start to the season — it took him over a month to score his first goal — but has come on recently and is a big reason why Philly has gone 20-10-4 since its rough opening to the campaign.

Giroux had 19 points in 14 December games and ripped off a nine-game point streak, in which he scored six goals and 11 assists. He was also a major catalyst in the club’s first four-game winning stretch of the season and scored this highlight-reel beauty against Columbus:

Giroux seemed upset, but relatively reserved in describing his emotions following the roster announcement.

“It was one of my dreams to play for Team Canada,” Giroux told CSN Philly. “A lot of good players in Canada, a lot of talent, so, obviously, it is disappointing.”

Update: Brian Engblom caught up with Giroux before tonight’s NBCSN game against the New Jersey Devils for a little more:

1. charlieconway96 - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I’d bet that his choice not to show for the orientation played into this call a fair bit.

• JoeAvg - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Great minds think alike? lol

• uncledick - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:48 PM

How messed up of him to focus on rehabbing his injury instead of going to Canada to schmooze. Let’s knock a guy working hard to get on the ice for a team whose office pays him and whose players he leads…

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Yeah! I don’t believe they considered his no show. I don’t see how he can bust the top 6 players on TC. One could argue that he could replace Nash, but then, one can argue that Nash has the resume in international hockey to be in the top 9.

2. JoeAvg - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Not attending the orientation didn’t help his cause. It’s hard to get rid of a bad taste left in the mouth.

3. philafly - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Cue the trolls.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Giroux goes off tonight against the Devils.

• hockey412 - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Zubrus better watch his head again, huh!

• philafly - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I guess you want me to go through all of Neal’s dirty hits with you? How much time do you have?

• hockey412 - Jan 8, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I really don’t want you to…but it’s a good point. Neal didn’t make the Olympics either. I think they wanted to take the selfish or idiotic plays out of the Olympics…Canada doesn’t need any temper tantrums like Neal and Giroux have SHOWN that they through in big games. So your point is actually a good one, I agree, Neal does have some bad plays, as does Giroux. So there’s no reason for Giroux to be upset about the Olympics. Also, he’s not a wing, there are better Centers, and he skipped orientation, so he’s clearly not all that dedicated. What a terd.

4. lowenni - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Jeff Carter over him was a bad choice. I guess Canada already has a lot of players who play like Giroux, but he can also play RW and is a great two-way player. In the end though, with all that talent on the roster, I don’t even know if it’ll matter.

• ibieiniid - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I bet he could play LW too, just look at him when he operates on the PP, ALWAYS feeding the goal mouth from the left.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:33 PM

They already have 9 forwards who can play the PP…… How many does a team need? Note: Team not all star team

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Well! We see eye to eye on this one. Too much talent in the top 6, and difficult to find a spot in the bottom 6. My question is, how would he perform/react without playing the big time minutes he gets in Philly? I’d rather see a role player in the bottom 4 forwards. You don’t want to break up Kunitz/Crosby, Sharp/Toews, or Getzlaf/Perry unless they are in a deep slump come puck drop.

5. bencia823 - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM

As a penguins fan, I love it when bad things happen to the Flyers (within reason. I don’t celebrate injuries). With that being said, I was shocked that Giroux didn’t make it, and I think it was a bad call on Yzerman’s part.

• JoeAvg - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:08 PM

As for bad things happening to the Flyers, don’t count your eggs just yet. If Giroux’s the player many think he is, this should motivate him. Reference J Benn. This could be a good thing for the Flyers. We’ll have wait and see.

• ibieiniid - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM

how the fu** does a guy suggesting to keep an open mind about things get a thumbs down? he even said it’s not a done deal. some people are just fu**ing moronic… most of them comment (or just thumb-down) on this website

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Really! Keep in mind that G is used to playing big time minutes with Philly. I don’t see how this could happen with TC considering their pool of stars and chemistry already in place.

• philafly - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Have to disagree. Look at the average time on ice for all forwards in the NHL. Giroux would rank 9th out of the 14 forwards that made the squad. You are speculating that he would not be able to handle a lesser amount of ice time. Not your strongest argument, and I actually find most of your comments to be pretty intelligent.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Well! Nobody’s perfect. :-) But! Thanks! I really don’t think he would get the same ice time, and it’s best to let guys like Carter, Bergeron, who will probably be on the shutdown line during the bigger games. I like Giroux, but I just don’t see where he fits. I don’t see him playing with Kunits and Crosby, or Getzlaf and Perry, or Sharp and Toews. I think these duos need a different type of player than G, and I wouldn’t want to break up the duos. I think it’s important to carry the chemistry these duos have to the Olympics where time is of the essence. Again! Nothing personal against Giroux. BTW, I would take G on my team before Ovi hands down.

6. har21441 - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM

His career is built on hype. He somehow gets compared to Crosby after one good season, and now we have to keep him in all discussions regarding top NHL talent? You can’t argue with statistics. He’s not the player you imagine him to be.

• ibieiniid - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:54 PM

“You can’t argue with statistics.”

you clearly aren’t a fan of sports. you’re a nerd that looks at numbers to sound cool around his coworkers.

• coopjr - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:15 PM

“The Flyers captain is tied with John Tavares as the highest scoring Canadians over the past three seasons.”

^statistics

7. everyonesuksbutme - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Herman is a punk!

8. ibieiniid - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM

man…. is this really ANOTHER story where we have to hear what everybody else in the league thinks about it?

9. zta7991 - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:16 PM

can’t even argue about his stats lol…he is tied for first among Canadian hockey players in points for the last three years tied with Tavares

10. rushledger - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:16 PM

His speed was the only thing keeping him the conversation, guess that wasn’t enough.

• ibieiniid - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:25 PM

have you ever even seen Giroux play? speed isn’t really a part of his game until it HAS to be.

11. broadstreetbeatdown - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Whaaaa!!! Giroux didn’t attend our hockey orientation hug-a-thon (Um, because he was in physical rehab BTW), so now we’re going to snub him. Stay classy team Canada. When your GM has to preemptively state that Kunitz deserves to be on this team you know something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM

BS, I don’t believe that. I know you’re being objective…. Right? There is simply no room for him in the top 6 to 8, and he certainly shouldn’t be playing on the 4th line. Is too good to be in the bottom 4 to 6 forwards and there’s no room in the top 6. C’est la vie? Don’t be a dumb a$$.

• upyoursnfu - Jan 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Someone got her panties in a bunch…. what does Canada not being classy have to do with it? Because your team’s player didn’t get selected “Team Canada” isn’t classy? Please explain that one, but I’ll wait for you to grab some Midol first.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jan 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I already explained the classy reference. You’re too much of a troglodyte to get it. Excuse me I have to unwad my panties and grab some Midol. Can I borrow yours girlfriend?

12. pitpenguinsrulez - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Take your sob stories to Love Park.

13. penguins87and71 - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:14 PM

The only advice I can give to Giroux is play like a man possessed. Show team Canada that they made a mistake. Maybe the reason why Giroux didn’t get on team Canada’s roster was because he got off to the slow start at the beginning of the season.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM

You never know. Stamkos is still a question mark. They may come calling yet. Like pen87&71 wrote, bust you balls and be ready. No whining, please. Be a man, be a Canadian, be a pro, be a leader.

14. President Charles Logan - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:30 PM

NHL players in the Olympics is a joke anyways .

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Of course they are. Before NHL players were allowed the Russians had all their best players in the Red Army playing/training 7 days a week. What was difference back then to what it is now?

• President Charles Logan - Jan 7, 2014 at 7:52 PM

and in 1980 a bunch of amateurs out of college beat those so called “professionals “….
        you watch, all these guys that are off to play for the olympics will be worn out when they return to their NHL teams .

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM

You think? Hawks had six players who played in the 2010 Olympics and won the cup. Crosby finished #1 in points. Yes! We all remember “Do you believe in Miracles?” Yes! 1980 was a great year for US hockey.

15. phillyphanatic77 - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Sucks but not surprising… not only is it motivation but he’ll stay healthy, rested, and should come out flying. I think he deserves a spot but I’m not upset.

16. muckleflugga - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:58 PM

giroux’s shot off the wing and in tight off scrambles will be missed, no doubt…oversight by way of sell-out to crosby politics for sure

joey4id

team canada chemistry…?

because crosby sulked until kunitz was invited…they’re joined at the hip on and off the ice…if i didn’t know better i might think they were [ ..... ] does a chummy relationship serve by way of catalyst…their team is despised and so are they by association if nothing else…

some chemistry…?

forget chemistry, start rating capacity for adaptability

adaptability is everything when playing in international tournaments with little in the way of preparation beyond simple skating drills against first round fodder…i’d prefer a more competitive opponent to get find winning formulae

it that can adapt survives…it’s darwinian

it’s survival of the fittest

17. laleafs - Jan 7, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Good player. Carter is bigger, faster, stronger, plays power play and penalty kill, scores pretty and greasy goals, has a Stanley Cup ring, and had the humility to show up for orientation camp. Good choice for Team Canada.

18. eagles512 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:37 PM

I’m a big carter fan but as someone who watched a ton of him and giroux, carter is not even in the same class as a player. I can assume you’re trolling for responses because that’s completely idiotic. And giroux was rehabbing an injury-FYI

19. benrob99 - Jan 8, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Giroux to team Canada is equal to the Jack Morris to Hall of Fame debate.

Giroux is good… just not good enough.

20. jelliot1978 - Jan 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Love the people bashing Giroux for not attending the team Canada camp. You all fail to realize why he missed it…..he was rehabbing an injury to his hand and the Flyers didn’t want him there.

To the comment about Giroux’s temperament, you left out Crosby in mentioning those with issues.

To the comparison with Carter, only thing Carter has over Giroux is the ring he lucked into and a better wrist shot. Giroux is a better offensive and defensive player. Also Carter has at times shown lack of heart.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches