Jan 6, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Among the hopefuls that could make Canada’s Olympic team is Matt Duchene of the Colorado Avalanche.
Now in his fifth season with the Avalanche, the team that drafted him third overall in the 2009 NHL Draft, Duchene is producing at a point-per-game clip – he’s not yet been able to reach this mark over a full season in his NHL career – and could be one of the players called Tuesday, when Hockey Canada’s Olympic brass announces its roster for the Sochi Games next month.
His appointment may come with the task of being moved to the wing, particularly with Canada stacked up the middle with centers like Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews and Ryan Getzlaf, who are returning from the gold medal winning squad and all expected to be named to the 2014 team.
“I’d be very surprised if he’s not on the team,” says Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, as per the Calgary Herald.
“He’s speed will be an important asset on the bigger-sized rink. When I spoke to Steve Yzerman they had some points they wanted to talk about. I’m not saying (points) they wanted me to work on . . . but I explained to Duchy that’s what they’re going to look at.
“If you’re good defensively, if you’re capable of moving the puck more, stuff like that. And that’s what he’s doing.”
Duchene had four points in three games prior to Monday’s contest against the Calgary Flames, when he was held off the score sheet with only two shots on goal.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 2
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)