Jan 6, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Among the hopefuls that could make Canada’s Olympic team is Matt Duchene of the Colorado Avalanche.
Now in his fifth season with the Avalanche, the team that drafted him third overall in the 2009 NHL Draft, Duchene is producing at a point-per-game clip – he’s not yet been able to reach this mark over a full season in his NHL career – and could be one of the players called Tuesday, when Hockey Canada’s Olympic brass announces its roster for the Sochi Games next month.
His appointment may come with the task of being moved to the wing, particularly with Canada stacked up the middle with centers like Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews and Ryan Getzlaf, who are returning from the gold medal winning squad and all expected to be named to the 2014 team.
“I’d be very surprised if he’s not on the team,” says Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, as per the Calgary Herald.
“He’s speed will be an important asset on the bigger-sized rink. When I spoke to Steve Yzerman they had some points they wanted to talk about. I’m not saying (points) they wanted me to work on . . . but I explained to Duchy that’s what they’re going to look at.
“If you’re good defensively, if you’re capable of moving the puck more, stuff like that. And that’s what he’s doing.”
Duchene had four points in three games prior to Monday’s contest against the Calgary Flames, when he was held off the score sheet with only two shots on goal.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)