Jan 6, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Among the hopefuls that could make Canada’s Olympic team is Matt Duchene of the Colorado Avalanche.
Now in his fifth season with the Avalanche, the team that drafted him third overall in the 2009 NHL Draft, Duchene is producing at a point-per-game clip – he’s not yet been able to reach this mark over a full season in his NHL career – and could be one of the players called Tuesday, when Hockey Canada’s Olympic brass announces its roster for the Sochi Games next month.
His appointment may come with the task of being moved to the wing, particularly with Canada stacked up the middle with centers like Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews and Ryan Getzlaf, who are returning from the gold medal winning squad and all expected to be named to the 2014 team.
“I’d be very surprised if he’s not on the team,” says Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, as per the Calgary Herald.
“He’s speed will be an important asset on the bigger-sized rink. When I spoke to Steve Yzerman they had some points they wanted to talk about. I’m not saying (points) they wanted me to work on . . . but I explained to Duchy that’s what they’re going to look at.
“If you’re good defensively, if you’re capable of moving the puck more, stuff like that. And that’s what he’s doing.”
Duchene had four points in three games prior to Monday’s contest against the Calgary Flames, when he was held off the score sheet with only two shots on goal.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 0
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 25
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)