Jan 6, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Among the hopefuls that could make Canada’s Olympic team is Matt Duchene of the Colorado Avalanche.
Now in his fifth season with the Avalanche, the team that drafted him third overall in the 2009 NHL Draft, Duchene is producing at a point-per-game clip – he’s not yet been able to reach this mark over a full season in his NHL career – and could be one of the players called Tuesday, when Hockey Canada’s Olympic brass announces its roster for the Sochi Games next month.
His appointment may come with the task of being moved to the wing, particularly with Canada stacked up the middle with centers like Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews and Ryan Getzlaf, who are returning from the gold medal winning squad and all expected to be named to the 2014 team.
“I’d be very surprised if he’s not on the team,” says Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, as per the Calgary Herald.
“He’s speed will be an important asset on the bigger-sized rink. When I spoke to Steve Yzerman they had some points they wanted to talk about. I’m not saying (points) they wanted me to work on . . . but I explained to Duchy that’s what they’re going to look at.
“If you’re good defensively, if you’re capable of moving the puck more, stuff like that. And that’s what he’s doing.”
Duchene had four points in three games prior to Monday’s contest against the Calgary Flames, when he was held off the score sheet with only two shots on goal.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)