Jan 3, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
After a lengthy bout with a form of Rocky Mountain fever, Phoenix captain Shane Doan has been cleared to return to action and will be available for selection when the Coyotes take on the Flyers on Saturday.
Doan, 37, hasn’t played since Dec. 4. ‘Yotes GM Don Maloney informed the media of the Rocky Mountain fever diagnosis two weeks later — on Dec. 20 — but was unclear as to how long Doan would be out.
“Our medical team is on top of it,” Maloney explained, per the Arizona Republic. “Every day he seems like he’s getting a little better and a little more energy and has started to exercise a little more. We’re encouraged. He’s trending in a positive manner and for us. It’s just going to take time.”
Doan returned to Phoenix practice on New Year’s Eve and, according to head coach Dave Tippett, is raring to go for tomorrow’s affair:
Doan has chance to play tomorrow. Has green light from doctors. “It’ll be hard to keep him out of the game tomorrow night,” Tippett said.
— Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) January 3, 2014
Getting Doan back would be a huge boon for the club. Despite the significant amount of time missed, he still leads the Coyotes with 12 goals and the team has just four wins in his absence.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)