Jan 3, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
After a lengthy bout with a form of Rocky Mountain fever, Phoenix captain Shane Doan has been cleared to return to action and will be available for selection when the Coyotes take on the Flyers on Saturday.
Doan, 37, hasn’t played since Dec. 4. ‘Yotes GM Don Maloney informed the media of the Rocky Mountain fever diagnosis two weeks later — on Dec. 20 — but was unclear as to how long Doan would be out.
“Our medical team is on top of it,” Maloney explained, per the Arizona Republic. “Every day he seems like he’s getting a little better and a little more energy and has started to exercise a little more. We’re encouraged. He’s trending in a positive manner and for us. It’s just going to take time.”
Doan returned to Phoenix practice on New Year’s Eve and, according to head coach Dave Tippett, is raring to go for tomorrow’s affair:
Doan has chance to play tomorrow. Has green light from doctors. “It’ll be hard to keep him out of the game tomorrow night,” Tippett said.
— Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) January 3, 2014
Getting Doan back would be a huge boon for the club. Despite the significant amount of time missed, he still leads the Coyotes with 12 goals and the team has just four wins in his absence.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 52
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 54
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 161
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (161)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)