Jan 3, 2014, 2:54 PM EST
After a lengthy bout with a form of Rocky Mountain fever, Phoenix captain Shane Doan has been cleared to return to action and will be available for selection when the Coyotes take on the Flyers on Saturday.
Doan, 37, hasn’t played since Dec. 4. ‘Yotes GM Don Maloney informed the media of the Rocky Mountain fever diagnosis two weeks later — on Dec. 20 — but was unclear as to how long Doan would be out.
“Our medical team is on top of it,” Maloney explained, per the Arizona Republic. “Every day he seems like he’s getting a little better and a little more energy and has started to exercise a little more. We’re encouraged. He’s trending in a positive manner and for us. It’s just going to take time.”
Doan returned to Phoenix practice on New Year’s Eve and, according to head coach Dave Tippett, is raring to go for tomorrow’s affair:
Doan has chance to play tomorrow. Has green light from doctors. “It’ll be hard to keep him out of the game tomorrow night,” Tippett said.
— Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) January 3, 2014
Getting Doan back would be a huge boon for the club. Despite the significant amount of time missed, he still leads the Coyotes with 12 goals and the team has just four wins in his absence.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)