Jan 3, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
After a lengthy bout with a form of Rocky Mountain fever, Phoenix captain Shane Doan has been cleared to return to action and will be available for selection when the Coyotes take on the Flyers on Saturday.
Doan, 37, hasn’t played since Dec. 4. ‘Yotes GM Don Maloney informed the media of the Rocky Mountain fever diagnosis two weeks later — on Dec. 20 — but was unclear as to how long Doan would be out.
“Our medical team is on top of it,” Maloney explained, per the Arizona Republic. “Every day he seems like he’s getting a little better and a little more energy and has started to exercise a little more. We’re encouraged. He’s trending in a positive manner and for us. It’s just going to take time.”
Doan returned to Phoenix practice on New Year’s Eve and, according to head coach Dave Tippett, is raring to go for tomorrow’s affair:
Doan has chance to play tomorrow. Has green light from doctors. “It’ll be hard to keep him out of the game tomorrow night,” Tippett said.
— Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) January 3, 2014
Getting Doan back would be a huge boon for the club. Despite the significant amount of time missed, he still leads the Coyotes with 12 goals and the team has just four wins in his absence.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 24
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)