Doan (illness) returns to practice with Coyotes

Dec 31, 2013, 9:41 AM EST

Shane Doan Getty Images

The Coyotes are closer to getting their captain back on the ice.

Forward Shane Doan rejoined the team at practice on Monday and after battling Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever for most of December. Doan says he’s happy to just be in shape enough to skate again as Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic reports.

“Being off three weeks, it’s tough on the body,” Doan said. “Being off and lying down and not really doing much and fighting whatever it is, it makes it hard.”

Doan is off antibiotics for the rare bacterial illness and the Coyotes’ offense could use him back.

The timing of his illness couldn’t have come at a worse time as he’s been solid this season with 23 points in 27 games. He’s also tied with Antoine Vermette for the team lead in goals with 12.

He last played December 4 against Calgary. The Coyotes have gone 3-2-5 while he’s been out with the illness.

1. joey4id - Dec 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Oof! Great news! Hope to see him back on the ice in a regular season game soon.

• endusersolutions2013 - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I had a similar tick-born illness that got so bad, it could have been fatal called erlichea. I was ultimately hospitalized.

What I would like to pass on is that when you do outdoor activities during tick season (hiking, bike riding on rural trails, camping…) that you 1st put on a good insect repellent, and that you check yourself over.

The irony is that when I was infected, I took my two children hiking in the Shawnee national Forest at a state park with unusual rock formations.

As a “good dad”, I remembered to carefully check my children. Forgot to look at me or ask my wife when we got home.

• joey4id - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Glad you recovered, and that the kids and wife were safe. Yep, as good dads do all the time we take care of the young ones and often forget about ourselves, and same goes for moms. I did a lot of hiking in So Cal and Costa Rica, but never realized tick infections were very dangerous.

2. skr213 - Dec 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Where’s that Dbag who was trying to claim Doan was sick from “withdrawals”?? Do you feel a little stupid now or are you too stupid to realize that you’re stupid?

• thailer35 - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Trolls always go back under the bridge.

• patthehockeyfan - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM

That particular troll’s screen name is ‘wishingtonredslur.’ I remember his awful comments.

At the time, I responded and wrote that, while not a fan of Doan, I didn’t wish him ill. Sucks what he went through. Glad he’s healthy again.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches