Jan 2, 2014, 11:58 AM EST
Horton needed offseason shoulder surgery, but he’s finished his rehab and is ready to play in his first game with the Blue Jackets, according to the team’s website.
He’s not a superstar, but he is a great power forward that’s been very successful in the playoffs. For a franchise that’s never had any success in the postseason, the prospect of adding a guy like him is potentially huge.
So his debut alone would make this a big night for Columbus, but that’s not the only bit of encouraging news they got this morning. Sergei Bobrovsky will probably return from a groin injury tonight. That being said, the Blue Jackets will probably ease the defending Vezina Trophy winner back into the lineup by having him serve as the team’s backup in their match against the Phoenix Coyotes.
Defenseman Dalton Prout (upper body) is also likely to rejoin Columbus after a six-game absence.
Columbus is six points out of a postseason spot, but they would have to leapfrog several teams in order to make the playoffs.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)