Jan 2, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Horton needed offseason shoulder surgery, but he’s finished his rehab and is ready to play in his first game with the Blue Jackets, according to the team’s website.
He’s not a superstar, but he is a great power forward that’s been very successful in the playoffs. For a franchise that’s never had any success in the postseason, the prospect of adding a guy like him is potentially huge.
So his debut alone would make this a big night for Columbus, but that’s not the only bit of encouraging news they got this morning. Sergei Bobrovsky will probably return from a groin injury tonight. That being said, the Blue Jackets will probably ease the defending Vezina Trophy winner back into the lineup by having him serve as the team’s backup in their match against the Phoenix Coyotes.
Defenseman Dalton Prout (upper body) is also likely to rejoin Columbus after a six-game absence.
Columbus is six points out of a postseason spot, but they would have to leapfrog several teams in order to make the playoffs.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)