Jul 5, 2013, 12:58 PM EST
Jarmo Kekalainen has made his second significant splash as Columbus GM, inking former Bruins power forward Nathan Horton to a seven-year, $37.1 million deal.
The deal carries a $5.3 million annual cap hit and, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Horton will receive $30 million of his salary in the first five years of the deal.
Horton, 28, spent the last three seasons in Boston, emerging as a gifted net-front presence with a knack for coming up large in the playoffs.
During the most recent Cup run, he finished with 19 points in 22 games despite being irked by a troublesome shoulder.
A six-time 20-goal scorer, he’ll immediately upgrade the Columbus offense. The Blue Jackets didn’t have a reliable scorer last season after Rick Nash was sent to New York, though they did improve by picking up Marian Gaborik at the trade deadline.
With this deal, Horton gets a notable pay bump from the $4 million he was making annually on his last deal.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)