Jan 2, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Quick have also made the squad and, as Miller pointed out to Sabres.com, there’s still a good amount of time left before Team USA has to decide who their starting goaltender will be. However, given Howard and Quick’s lukewarm and injury filled 2013-14 campaigns compared to Miller’s stunning performance in the 2010 Games, the Sabres netminder has to be seen as the heavy favorite.
It will be different this time around though as he’ll have to go from playing in an NHL-sized rink to an Olympic one. He’s going to try watching tapes to prepare, but he won’t actually get much of an opportunity to try out the Sochi ice before it’s time to play.
“It’s going to be quite the adjustment to go over there and have maybe one or two practices maybe if that and have to execute,” Miller said. “I’ll have to mentally prepare and do the work in your mind first. I’ll try and squeeze some time in if I can get on the Olympic sheet [in Buffalo]. Maybe I’ll get the keys to the building, sneak in, see what I can do.”
Although that will be an added challenge he’ll have to deal with this time around, he’s obviously looking forward to the games. It’s an opportunity to go to a part of the world he’s never seen before and meet up with athletes he might not otherwise have much of an opportunity to seen.
It’s also a chance for him to deal with some unfinished business after he came tantalizingly close to the gold medal in 2010.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)