Jan 1, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle thinks Tim Gleason and the Leafs are a good fit.
“With Gleason, we feel that he can come back into a hockey environment where we can support him with the style of play that I think suits his style,” Carlyle said. “We want him to be a guy that can come back in and move the puck. He’s a big man.”
Gleason, 30, is a former first-round pick and veteran of over 600 NHL contests. His best years came between 2005-10 — he made his first and only playoff appearance with Carolina, and represented the U.S. at the Vancouver Winter Olympics — but he’s had a rough go of things over the last few seasons. Injuries (including a broken foot and concussion) have sidelined him at various times, and his average TOI per game has fallen below 16 minutes, his lowest since breaking in as a rookie with the Kings in 2003-04.
Still, Carlyle thinks he can be of use to the Leafs’ back end.
“We just want [Gleason] to make a contribution,” Carlyle said. “His contribution won’t be expected to be a power play guy, won’t be expected to be a defensive guy, but a big strong guy that can move the puck.”
As for the guy going to Carolina — Liles — Carlyle thanked him for being an “excellent pro” and “excellent person” during his time in Toronto, but admitted it was tough getting Liles in the lineup with the emergence of Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner.
Here’s what Leafs GM Dave Nonis had to say about Gleason breaking into the Toronto lineup…
Nonis didn’t exactly give a huge ringing endorsement to Gleason. Said he would have to earn ice time etc.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) January 1, 2014
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)