Jan 1, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
Randy Carlyle thinks Tim Gleason and the Leafs are a good fit.
“With Gleason, we feel that he can come back into a hockey environment where we can support him with the style of play that I think suits his style,” Carlyle said. “We want him to be a guy that can come back in and move the puck. He’s a big man.”
Gleason, 30, is a former first-round pick and veteran of over 600 NHL contests. His best years came between 2005-10 — he made his first and only playoff appearance with Carolina, and represented the U.S. at the Vancouver Winter Olympics — but he’s had a rough go of things over the last few seasons. Injuries (including a broken foot and concussion) have sidelined him at various times, and his average TOI per game has fallen below 16 minutes, his lowest since breaking in as a rookie with the Kings in 2003-04.
Still, Carlyle thinks he can be of use to the Leafs’ back end.
“We just want [Gleason] to make a contribution,” Carlyle said. “His contribution won’t be expected to be a power play guy, won’t be expected to be a defensive guy, but a big strong guy that can move the puck.”
As for the guy going to Carolina — Liles — Carlyle thanked him for being an “excellent pro” and “excellent person” during his time in Toronto, but admitted it was tough getting Liles in the lineup with the emergence of Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner.
Here’s what Leafs GM Dave Nonis had to say about Gleason breaking into the Toronto lineup…
Nonis didn’t exactly give a huge ringing endorsement to Gleason. Said he would have to earn ice time etc.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) January 1, 2014
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 34
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 50
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 33
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)