Jan 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Tyler Bozak‘s shootout goal gave the Toronto Maple Leafs a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings in the 2014 Winter Classic at the Big House in Ann Arbor.
Some items for discussion while we await the announcement of the United States men’s Olympic team:
— How ’bout all that snow! And the crowd. That was a big crowd.
— It’s hard to treat the Winter Classic like a regular, old game (because it isn’t), but it counts the same in the standings. Both teams entered the contest with 45 points in 41 games, and they each held a wild card spot in the Eastern Conference. They’re still the two wild-card teams, but Toronto’s a point up now.
— For the 12th time this season, the Wings scored first and didn’t win. Only four teams (Flames, Oilers, Islanders, and Sabres) have a winning percentage lower than Detroit’s when they open the scoring.
— Despite their victory today, the Leafs have just four regulation wins in their last 28 games. They do, however, have points in six straight games.
— The Wings outshot the Leafs, 43-26. Make that 17 wins for the Leafs this season when they’re outshot, the most in the NHL.
— This was the third Winter Classic to go past regulation. It was the second to go to a shootout. There are a lot of shootouts in the NHL.
— Michigan State product Justin Abdelkader scored the tying goal for the Red Wings in the third period. Apropos given the venue.
Click play for the glorious highlights:
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 4
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 72
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (72)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)