Jan 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Tyler Bozak‘s shootout goal gave the Toronto Maple Leafs a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings in the 2014 Winter Classic at the Big House in Ann Arbor.
Some items for discussion while we await the announcement of the United States men’s Olympic team:
— How ’bout all that snow! And the crowd. That was a big crowd.
— It’s hard to treat the Winter Classic like a regular, old game (because it isn’t), but it counts the same in the standings. Both teams entered the contest with 45 points in 41 games, and they each held a wild card spot in the Eastern Conference. They’re still the two wild-card teams, but Toronto’s a point up now.
— For the 12th time this season, the Wings scored first and didn’t win. Only four teams (Flames, Oilers, Islanders, and Sabres) have a winning percentage lower than Detroit’s when they open the scoring.
— Despite their victory today, the Leafs have just four regulation wins in their last 28 games. They do, however, have points in six straight games.
— The Wings outshot the Leafs, 43-26. Make that 17 wins for the Leafs this season when they’re outshot, the most in the NHL.
— This was the third Winter Classic to go past regulation. It was the second to go to a shootout. There are a lot of shootouts in the NHL.
— Michigan State product Justin Abdelkader scored the tying goal for the Red Wings in the third period. Apropos given the venue.
Click play for the glorious highlights:
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)