Jan 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Tyler Bozak‘s shootout goal gave the Toronto Maple Leafs a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings in the 2014 Winter Classic at the Big House in Ann Arbor.
Some items for discussion while we await the announcement of the United States men’s Olympic team:
— How ’bout all that snow! And the crowd. That was a big crowd.
— It’s hard to treat the Winter Classic like a regular, old game (because it isn’t), but it counts the same in the standings. Both teams entered the contest with 45 points in 41 games, and they each held a wild card spot in the Eastern Conference. They’re still the two wild-card teams, but Toronto’s a point up now.
— For the 12th time this season, the Wings scored first and didn’t win. Only four teams (Flames, Oilers, Islanders, and Sabres) have a winning percentage lower than Detroit’s when they open the scoring.
— Despite their victory today, the Leafs have just four regulation wins in their last 28 games. They do, however, have points in six straight games.
— The Wings outshot the Leafs, 43-26. Make that 17 wins for the Leafs this season when they’re outshot, the most in the NHL.
— This was the third Winter Classic to go past regulation. It was the second to go to a shootout. There are a lot of shootouts in the NHL.
— Michigan State product Justin Abdelkader scored the tying goal for the Red Wings in the third period. Apropos given the venue.
Click play for the glorious highlights:
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)