Jan 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Tyler Bozak‘s shootout goal gave the Toronto Maple Leafs a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings in the 2014 Winter Classic at the Big House in Ann Arbor.
Some items for discussion while we await the announcement of the United States men’s Olympic team:
— How ’bout all that snow! And the crowd. That was a big crowd.
— It’s hard to treat the Winter Classic like a regular, old game (because it isn’t), but it counts the same in the standings. Both teams entered the contest with 45 points in 41 games, and they each held a wild card spot in the Eastern Conference. They’re still the two wild-card teams, but Toronto’s a point up now.
— For the 12th time this season, the Wings scored first and didn’t win. Only four teams (Flames, Oilers, Islanders, and Sabres) have a winning percentage lower than Detroit’s when they open the scoring.
— Despite their victory today, the Leafs have just four regulation wins in their last 28 games. They do, however, have points in six straight games.
— The Wings outshot the Leafs, 43-26. Make that 17 wins for the Leafs this season when they’re outshot, the most in the NHL.
— This was the third Winter Classic to go past regulation. It was the second to go to a shootout. There are a lot of shootouts in the NHL.
— Michigan State product Justin Abdelkader scored the tying goal for the Red Wings in the third period. Apropos given the venue.
Click play for the glorious highlights:
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)