Jan 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Tyler Bozak‘s shootout goal gave the Toronto Maple Leafs a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings in the 2014 Winter Classic at the Big House in Ann Arbor.
Some items for discussion while we await the announcement of the United States men’s Olympic team:
— How ’bout all that snow! And the crowd. That was a big crowd.
— It’s hard to treat the Winter Classic like a regular, old game (because it isn’t), but it counts the same in the standings. Both teams entered the contest with 45 points in 41 games, and they each held a wild card spot in the Eastern Conference. They’re still the two wild-card teams, but Toronto’s a point up now.
— For the 12th time this season, the Wings scored first and didn’t win. Only four teams (Flames, Oilers, Islanders, and Sabres) have a winning percentage lower than Detroit’s when they open the scoring.
— Despite their victory today, the Leafs have just four regulation wins in their last 28 games. They do, however, have points in six straight games.
— The Wings outshot the Leafs, 43-26. Make that 17 wins for the Leafs this season when they’re outshot, the most in the NHL.
— This was the third Winter Classic to go past regulation. It was the second to go to a shootout. There are a lot of shootouts in the NHL.
— Michigan State product Justin Abdelkader scored the tying goal for the Red Wings in the third period. Apropos given the venue.
Click play for the glorious highlights:
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)