Dec 31, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT
This started out as a promising night for the San Jose Sharks. They were down 1-0 to the Anaheim Ducks after 20 minutes, but Antti Niemi had made some great saves and Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle even the score just 35 seconds into the second period.
Not much else went right for the Sharks though. Anaheim ended up overwhelming San Jose in the second period with a staggering 25 shots on goal. Niemi was unable to fight back against that onslaught and the Ducks opened up a 4-2 lead.
They padded that lead early in the third when Ryan Getzlaf scored his 20th goal of the 2013-14 campaign on a breakaway:
With his earlier heroics long since rendered moot, the Sharks pulled Niemi in favor of Alex Stalock. But when the new goaltender saw three Ducks players rushing him, almost unopposed despite the fact that the Sharks had the man advantage, there wasn’t much he could do:
With that 6-3 victory, Anaheim has now won 11 of their last 12 games. They’ve opened up a seven-point lead in the Pacific Division.
One more from Ducks: Jonas Hiller set a club record with his ninth straight win.
— Helene Elliott (@helenenothelen) January 1, 2014
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 7
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)