Dec 31, 2013, 10:53 PM EST
This started out as a promising night for the San Jose Sharks. They were down 1-0 to the Anaheim Ducks after 20 minutes, but Antti Niemi had made some great saves and Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle even the score just 35 seconds into the second period.
Not much else went right for the Sharks though. Anaheim ended up overwhelming San Jose in the second period with a staggering 25 shots on goal. Niemi was unable to fight back against that onslaught and the Ducks opened up a 4-2 lead.
They padded that lead early in the third when Ryan Getzlaf scored his 20th goal of the 2013-14 campaign on a breakaway:
With his earlier heroics long since rendered moot, the Sharks pulled Niemi in favor of Alex Stalock. But when the new goaltender saw three Ducks players rushing him, almost unopposed despite the fact that the Sharks had the man advantage, there wasn’t much he could do:
With that 6-3 victory, Anaheim has now won 11 of their last 12 games. They’ve opened up a seven-point lead in the Pacific Division.
One more from Ducks: Jonas Hiller set a club record with his ninth straight win.
— Helene Elliott (@helenenothelen) January 1, 2014
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)