Dec 31, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Late in the first period, Perry had two quick opportunities to fire hard shots at Niemi and was denied both times. You can see the video of that below:
That kept the game from slipping away and made Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle‘s early second period marker a game-tying goal.
Perry is tied for fourth in the NHL with 22 goals in 41 contests. Meanwhile, Niemi is going for his fourth straight victory to tie Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury for first place with 22 wins.
This is a key game for both teams as they battle for the Central Division title. Anaheim has a five-point edge over San Jose in that battle, but the Sharks have played in two fewer contests, so a win tonight would put them within striking distance.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 1
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 14
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (78)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)