Dec 23, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
News and notes from the crease…
Washington goes back to Grubauer
The Capitals will start Philipp Grubauer once again on Monday night when they host the Ducks at Verizon.
Grubauer, who stopped 39 of 41 shots in a win over Carolina on Friday, has been excellent since his recall from AHL Hershey, posting a 4-0-1 record with a 2.05 GAA and .940 save percentage. He gets the nod tonight over Braden Holtby, who allowed five goals in an overtime loss to New Jersey on Saturday.
Grubauer will go up against Jonas Hiller in the Anaheim goal tonight.
Chicago rides Raanta
The Blackhawks will give Antti Raanta his seventh straight start since the Corey Crawford injury tonight against the Devils. Raanta, who stopped 22 of 24 shots in a shootout loss to Vancouver on Friday, has played very well since his recall from AHL Rockford, going 7-1-2 with a 2.22 GAA and .920 save percentage in Chicago.
Raanta will take on Cory Schneider tonight.
Coyotes at Sabres: No word on Phoenix’s starter yet; Buffalo will go with Ryan Miller.
Bruins at Predators: Carter Hutton goes for Nashville; Boston has yet to announce its starter.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)